Cart #41473 | 2017-06-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I had posted this in the work in progress category a bit ago. I have made some improvements and feel like I am at a place with it where it should be submitted to 'carts' proper (changes include updated boss 2 death sequence and a few tweaks to general gameplay that make things run smoother and have a more polished look).

Proxima-B is a space shooter featuring:
• Two distinct shooter levels
• Two boss fights
• A fun/atmospheric soundtrack
• Two powerups: spread shot and super shot (double damage and larger bullet)
• A platforming epilogue (Which exists mostly for storyline/gag purposes (in that level you can press up for a jet-pack effect, and X to open doors).

Screenshots (I left the boses out of the screenshots, to leave a bit of surprise):

Notes on this version: The game is meant to be fairly hard and quirky. I got feedback from friends and forum members dismayed at the lack of rapid fire while moving. I gave serious thought to switching it, but found the game to be WAAAY too easy with the inclusion of true rapid fire, so it has been left as is: you can hold fire to rapid fire while not moving but there is a bit of delay for it to kick in, so doing it while moving does not work and you will have to tap it out to fire while moving. In general, I suggest going for accuracy over bullet spam. Also: let things pass you. You advance by killing, but you don't need to kill everything. I took some advice from a forum poster that suggested (thanks for the advice!) that the game over sequence be shortened: you can now hit X immediately to continue, regardless of whether or not the end game animation has completed. Finally, Proxima-B is definitely easier and more fun with a USB controller plugged in.

Have fun and enjoy the game!

P#41475 2017-06-09 12:27 ( Edited 2017-06-09 17:03)

1 hit = game over? Nope.

P#41478 2017-06-09 12:54 ( Edited 2017-06-09 16:54)

Hahaha, really?

A one hit death is not particularly uncommon in this style of game....or at least it wasnt in the late 80s/early 90s. I have not played a shooter other than this one and a few on this site since then....but I played a lot of Xevious back then. Anyway, sorry it isn't your thing.

P#41480 2017-06-09 13:02 ( Edited 2017-06-09 17:02)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 08:21:36 | 0.018s | Q:18