Follow
robcorr
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #33223 | 2016-12-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first PICO-8 game.

I am a high school teacher, and I'm involved in our "e-Learning" program. I thought PICO-8 would be an interesting way to introduce students to coding.

So this game is something of a "proof of concept" to show that with very limited experience (I'm not an IT teacher and have no formal IT training) you can quickly put together a working game. We're running a "Mission to Mars" inquiry learning project for our Year 9 classes next year, so that gave me the theme.

I wanted to include:
— a title screen
— movement
— animation
— a scoring system
— sound effects
— music

The code is extremely ugly, because I was just trying to make it work as quickly as possible. It's a mess, to be honest. There is a lot going on in _draw that should be in _update, for starters.

This was three evenings, learning everything from scratch. I'm pretty pleased with it, although it's not a game that will hold your attention for long! But it should be enough for me to show my school that PICO-8 is something we should encourage our students to play with.

(I owe a debt to Drop Down, which I used to work out how to create game states, and the basic falling/gravity mechanic.)

P#33224 2016-12-09 04:15 ( Edited 2016-12-09 21:12)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 03:54:41 | 0.064s | Q:10