Follow
scottb
[ :: Read More :: ]

So, comments don't count for tokens, which is good. But, they do count for characters. This kinda provides an incentive to avoid the level of comment in code that might be useful to others in the community, which is too bad.

Any chance this could be changed to be more in line with how tokens are counted?

P#12362 2015-08-06 12:08 ( Edited 2015-08-06 16:08)

Cart #12563 | 2015-08-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

An asteroids-like game for PICO 8.

Controls:

UP: thrust
LEFT/RIGHT: rotate
Z: shoot
X: blast (area attack radiating from ship; uses energy)

Don't get hit by the asteroids; shoot the asteroids for points. Big ones split into medium, medium ones sometimes split, small ones never do.

Each player starts with 3 lives, and also has a "power" gauge. The longer you stay alive, the higher the gauge goes. When it passes certain points, you automatically upgrade (upgrades: more bullets, longer distance bullets, multi-shot). When you die, it resets. The secondary attack ("blast") uses up 1 "tick" of energy (3 ticks per upgrade), so you can choose to use it to save yourself and rack up points, but it will slow down your upgrade path.

At this point, probably all that I'm going to polish on this is sfx and maybe some graphical tweaks.

Original Post

So, I'd been thinking of making an asteroids-like game (probably Asteroids, but with some interesting weapons or abilities added in). I was a bit hesitant to go full vector drawing, plus I kinda wanted to mess with sprites. But, you can't rotate sprites (though amusingly, grobstein just posted a thread about just that).

My solution: a two-sprite ship, with both sprites circular. This allows for an arrow-like shape, (via rotating one sprite's coordinates around the other).

I ... kinda like it so far? Right now it's got movement and physics and such. No collisions yet, very boring asteroids. But, a start.

Controls:

UP: Thrust
Right/Left: rotate

P#12068 2015-07-30 21:21 ( Edited 2015-08-10 21:03)

Cart #12023 | 2015-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a really basic test of a supercover algorithm (for determining which grids in a square a line from square 1 to square 2 crosses). Potentially useful for collision detection or line of sight.

Algorithm is cribbed from online (with minor tweaks), and this is otherwise quite simple. Mostly a proof of concept, and to see how well it performed within PICO 8.

Up / Down / Left / Right: move the end point.
Z: change which end point you're moving

P#12024 2015-07-29 19:02 ( Edited 2015-07-29 23:03)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-20 02:04:15 | 0.073s | Q:12