Hello,

I'm posting my second pico-8 game here! Note that it's still a work in progress.

This is a revival of a small game that some friends and I have made in 2009 for an assignment, in our first year as undergraduate students. A video of the original version can be found here.

The idea is that the player controls a polygon and has to hit the side of enemy polygons using their (the player's) vertexes, that is, their "tips", while protecting their own sides. The polygon is moved using arrow keys, and rotated using face buttons.

The force of impact plays a role on the damage, and when a side has received enough damage, it is destroyed and the polygon devolves into a polygon with one fewer side. For example, if it were a pentagon, then it becomes a square. However, if it was a triangle, then it's completly destroyed and dies. Damaged sides recover with time.

Edit: here's a gif to illustrate the damage

The game features two modes: single-player and multiplayer. In the single-player mode, it's a coliseum with a few enemy types that display different behaviors and/or physical attributes. In my opinion, as of now, Nemesis is the most balanced enemy. Mutiplayer is a King of the Hill-style game.

Cart #vertexwars-6 | 2024-01-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

What's next? I still want to balance the existing enemies, add a couple new ones, add some sound effects, and maybe some visual effects for the background during the fights, since I'm heavily underusing the frame budget (if it fits, because I'm very close to the limit of tokens).

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks and happy new year!

P#139454 2023-12-31 18:05 ( Edited 2024-01-07 18:26)

Really cool concept! I enjoyed it though I will say bullet sponge was super difficult. I was stuck on it for a long time and then once I widdled them down to a square I got destroyed ;p
I think if they regenerated a lot slower so it was more about weakening the sides more slowy.. even if combined with other more hostile enemies I think it could be a lot of fun.
Good Stuff!

P#139765 2024-01-07 22:56

Is it just me, or is the Coward the hardest enemy to beat? I managed to get all of the others with some strategy, but it seems like I simply don't have the fine control needed to reliably and safely catch the Coward consistently. It's a pretty cool game, though! It's very unique.

(Edit: managed to eventually get it on the second try after I posted. Just needed to try harder.)

P#139793 2024-01-08 09:00 ( Edited 2024-01-08 09:04)

Thanks for playing!

> @SmellyFishstiks
> I think if they regenerated a lot slower so it was more about weakening the sides more slowy.. even if combined with other more hostile enemies I think it could be a lot of fun.

This makes sense! I think I'll update the game to substantially decrease the recovery rate of the enemies (at least the ones that flee more). I'm also thinking of adding a new enemy called "swarm".

> @Rascal
> Is it just me, or is the Coward the hardest enemy to beat?

It's the hardest enemy for me as well :p ! But I think that with the changes we were discussing here, that won't be the case anymore.

Now I just need to find a bit of time to make those changes ahaha

P#140389 2024-01-21 12:59 ( Edited 2024-01-21 13:00)

[Please log in to post a comment]