Cart #tetrafabrika-2 | 2023-08-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls: Arrow keys to move. Hold X to pull blocks.

Where do all those tetrominoes come from? From the Tetrafabrika, of course!

Build tetrominoes as fast as possible in this manic arcade Sokoban-like.

This is my entry to Lowrezjam 2023--where you make a game at 64x64 resolution or lower.

v1.01

Lots of little bug fixes and a couple of major ones.

Pushing was horrendously broken in many different ways
You can no longer shove blocks through walls
You can no longer move blocks several spaces away
You can no longer push diagonal-adjacent blocks
Added a current block display in the upper half of the map
Darkened the floor and added a highlight onto the block target tiles
You can only pull one step at a time now
The timer is less stupid and won't allow games to carry on indefinitely (well maybe only if you're incredibly fast)
Max time decreases properly now
Pull bonus is reset properly now
Slight adjustment to title graphic on score screen
There's still an occasional bug where blocks end up on top of each other. Like most things, I think this has something to do with pulling blocks.

v1.0 and design notes

Despite trying to keep things simple with this game and make a small easy-to-finish game I ended up stumbling into another collision-based nightmare. Sokoban games are not easy! There was a grim 8 hour crunch as the deadline approached and I ended up going to be ridiculously late at 5:30am on a work night/morning. Stupid!

There were loads of stupid, awful bugs in 1.0 that people either didn't notice or were too polite to point out.

I wasn't able to find anywhere near enough time to work on this at a sensible pace, I should have gone with something similar.

Originally the theme was going to be 'cooperation' via two-player local co-op. But I realised on the final major coding session that this was hopelessly ambitious.

In the end I suppose the theme could be Creation Story. I mean, after all, where do all those tetronimoes come from in Tetris?

In a post-jam version I'm considering ditching the 64x64 resolution and using the rest of the space to add a Tetris game, maybe? Would that be a betrayal of the spirit of the jam? Probably. But it would also be cool and it's my game and I'll do what I want with it. :)

Originally inspired by Kumatori Panic!

P#133220 2023-08-18 11:14 ( Edited 2023-08-18 21:26)

[Please log in to post a comment]