Cart #kelp_on_mars-1 | 2023-06-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Kelp on Mars

Survive 1 week harvesting kelp on Mars while providing for your hungry Martian family by collecting the long light green tips of the kelp and fixing the kelp harvesting nets with the darker green kelp "blades" . You need 40 tips a day to nourish your family and 10 blades of kelp to repair each broken net—and if you break all three nets in a day that's the end of your run. What you don't use on one day rolls over into the next.

Tend well to your farm—what you harvest one day will be reflected in the next. A sprout, a short light green tip, will grow into a tip on the following day but if you harvest the holdfast the kelp won't grow again.

Controls

• Accelerate — ➡️
  • Decelerate — ⬅️
  • Move kelp net — ⬆️ ⬇️
  • Start / restart at game over — ❎

Game Jam

This was an entry for Eggjam #18 — Sourcing Locally 🏡🌱.

Thanks

This is the sixth game I've completed and released, I hope you enjoy it!

Huge thanks to Gruber for the beautiful game music which is the "Pastoral" track from Pico-8 Tunes Volume 1.

Thanks to Lexaloffle for making PICO-8, it was a pleasure to work with, as always.

A big thank you to the Eggplant Show community who inspired me to make another game and have given great feedback along the way.

P#131114 2023-06-18 19:38 ( Edited 2023-06-19 19:29)

Thanks for the feedback, jowyu! 🙏 I had meant to tweak the colour transitions but I guess I got used to it and forgot! Fixed that in the latest version and also the fish will no longer be missed if you attempt to fish … them (as the hardy Martian fish break your nets).

P#131149 2023-06-19 19:29

[Please log in to post a comment]