Cart #lemmings-0 | 2024-04-30 | Embed ▽ | No License

So I was curious if picotron would be capable of running the original Lemmings game as it was on Amiga, it turns out - yes!

Well, with the exception of no halfwidth pixels for the UI. But otherwise, you could make a 1:1 clone. Which I started doing, but then I thought it would be more fun if I pretended Psygnosis had time-travelled and asked me to make a picotron port. So I added extra in-between frames to the classic walk cycle for smoother animation, climbing gloves and umbrellas to indicate lemmings with permanent skills, fast forward (an invaluable feature added after the first games), and a nicer level select.

At the moment there are only a handful of levels and only one half-finished music track, I hope to work on more and have all the levels from the first four games (Lemmings, Oh No! More Lemmings, and the two holiday packs from '93 and '94), buuuuut I don't know that I'd be comfortable posting that here (or at all) - Lemmings is somebody else's IP after all. This is a fun hobby project for me, but if you want to play classic lemmings there's a few other options for you. I'm only really sharing this so that anyone that wants to see how I've done it can check the code, and also it's a way for me to call it a milestone I can step away from - I've got other projects with my own IP to finish!

I'll plug the current commercial Lemmings game since it feels weird not to when I'm so clearly doing as I please with the IP myself. Check it out if you like lemmings and mobile games with pretty graphics (and don't mind adverts, wheel spins, multiple in-game currencies, energy mechanics, and all that modern mobile "free-to-play" stuff)

P#147664 2024-04-30 19:17

Brilliant. It's finally fun to play a version of this game where clicking on a lemming actually immediately does something. Maybe my memory is fuzzy or I'm just making excuses but I seem to remember the original being a bit laggy with clicks. Most likely just excuses.

P#147667 2024-04-30 19:21

Impressive. could have been an official port.

P#147683 2024-04-30 22:31

This looks and plays SO well already - excellent stuff! 👏🤓

P#147698 2024-05-01 06:07

very well done!
(and yes, some sfx would help - it feels empty atm...)

P#147699 2024-05-01 06:38

This is crazy impressive-seeing those levels again unlocked so many memories-and frustrations :D Thank you for sharing!

P#147993 2024-05-06 12:55

[Please log in to post a comment]