Hello there people! I bought voxatron last week and I'm really loving it! The fan made levels support is amazing, I don't know a game made of voxels that have this much help to make and distribute levels that were made by users, also, I loved the copyright related to the levels and obviously agree with those.

I also have a few suggestions that you may understand as questions for the future voxatron

Transparent voxels.
Something like glass would be nice to add in voxatron, it would give a nice effect to the room showing areas that the player were or is going to be, and if it's a roof, it would have the nice effect that the camera is outside the building!

Bigger rooms.
This is a limitation that is really anoying somehow, I wanted to make something like, a big corridor full of monsters or a puzzle in form of a cross, but the room is only a square with maximum height of 256, it is really big still and hard to fill the bigger square room, but as a corridor it would seem rather small.

another amor.
The armor is incredibly amazing in voxatron, the way it falls when you get hit with the sword of fortune, or how awesome it is by itself you can just glare a it for some long time without geting bored! but while I was making the pink room, I wanted the sword of eternity to be escarlate and the sword of fortune to be esmeralda, but that would mean that they have diferent colors and there is only one amor for the player, so I had to make a fake escarlate instead of esmeralda.

Storytelling.

Is there a easier way to write words without having to paint them voxel by voxel or the shiny way when you get an item? because it would make my life a lot easier, I like to make stories that make sense, not just the kill this monster for me and go to the boss room. People like to think! There is no way to write a mindblow story without using some different words from time to time.

The game is awesome, I have no complaining about the adventure mode, or how I died a thousand times in the lava level, because the dragon is awesome and the snow is cool! This game has SO MUCH POTENTIAL that words are not enought for it.

Edit: fixed some words

P#7473 2013-07-09 18:14 ( Edited 2013-07-18 23:12)

Hi Kling, welcome to the BBS and thanks for the great levels you posted so far! I'm glad you're digging the community-made level aspects of the game. It has become the primary focus of Voxatron's development, so seeing interesting and playful levels emerge from the half-finished tools and engine is extremely inspiring.

Transparent Voxels: I've implemented transparent voxels in the renderer which will eventually be useable in the editor, but will make their first appearance just for water:

To keep the data format compact, it might not be possible to specify a level of transparency for any given voxel though. Either it will be an optional 50% transparency for all colours, or I'll make a selection of transparency/colour pairings that are more likely to be useful (glass, etc)

Bigger Rooms

I've kept the rooms at 256 for speed reasons -- the physics system needs to scan the whole room a lot for crumbling pieces (among other things), and larger sizes become unmanageable. It's not out of the question though -- I'm hoping to at least allow shapes that add up to the same number of voxels e.g. 512x128 (a corridor 4 screens across). This might not be finalized until quite late in development because it needs to work with other speed-critical things like network play (still not confirmed to be technically feasible).

As for unusual shaped rooms, I plan to add two properties to rooms that might help:

1. Invisible Walls: if the floor voxel is not set, then an invisible wall is extended from the bottom to the very top of the world.
  2. Extended Walls: when this mode is set, a similar invisible wall is extended when the highest-most world voxel is set.

Armour

Definable Armour for players is coming in 0.2.7 (the update after next) in the form of modifiers. This is a bit tricky to set up, but I'll post an example when it's available. An alternative player definition can be activated when the player has collected an armour pickup, allowing different armour to be drawn, and for the collapsed armour to be emitted when the player is hit.

Storytelling

There was a way to draw text with fonts, but I think it's broken right now! I'll make sure it's working in the next update. WIth modifiers (also next update) it's a bit easier to control when text is shown according to certain events. For example, this test guy says hello for 4 seconds when you walk up to him, and "Hey!" when you hit him:

This is still all a bit clumsy though and takes too much manual labour. With scripting later on you'll able to set up things like speech bubbles that can be called from the actor's own script:
this.show_speech_bubble("Hello!")

P#7494 2013-07-14 16:45 ( Edited 2013-07-14 20:49)

I loved to hear all those upcoming features and sad that some things are not possible, thanks for answering me those questions, you have my support to the development of this game!

P#7505 2013-07-18 19:12 ( Edited 2013-07-18 23:12)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 03:21:21 | 0.007s | Q:12