Follow
FunFetched

I've been making games since my dad bought me my first computer and told me that if I wanted any, I had to make my own. After a long tenure at PopCap Games, I've set out on my own to do... I dunno; something amazing, I guess!

www.funfetched.com
@FunFetched

SHOW MORE

Cart #39709 | 2017-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Well now, instead of going completely bonkers and making a game in secret over the course of a few months, I figured I'd do something a little different this time, and perhaps a little silly. All I have right now is this title screen that's probably consuming far too many tokens, a few sprites, and a vision. I have other obligations right now, but I'll probably chip away at this thing here and there and keep this thread updated with the latest and greatest.

P#39710 2017-04-16 00:50 ( Edited 2017-04-16 04:50)

SHOW MORE

Cart #38515 | 2017-03-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

At last, Nanoman!

Basically, a fan game heavily inspired by the early Mega Man series that I started working on a few months ago. A big thanks to Gruber Music for stepping in during the final stages and providing some great tunes for the 6 different levels!

If you're already a fan of Mega Man, you should feel right at home here. For the un-initiated, here's a breakdown of the controls.

• Arrows: Move (of course)
  • Z: Jump - Tap for a small jump, hold for maximum height
  • X: Fire / Menu select
  • L-SHIFT: Open weapon selection menu. You'll have just one until you defeat some bosses
  • If you're sick of a level, you can return to the stage selection screen through the PICO-8 pause menu (ENTER)

You'll often come across life (white glowing orbs) and energy pods. The energy pods will re-fill your special weapons, but you'll need to have the weapon you want to re-fill selected before you pick it up.

Warning:
This game is HARD. Like, Mega Man hard. Expect to die a lot until you start to memorize stage layouts and enemy patterns. The game is indeed beatable; I've run the whole thing myself a few times. It takes about 15-16 minutes if you're in a hurry and don't die. I plan on making a full play-through video soon. There's a handy, built-in timer for you speed-runners out there that'll show up at the end of the game.

Developers:
The code in this cart has been squashed with p8tool's luamin command. This was necessary to get this beast of a thing in under the compressed file size limit. Don't expect anything legible by clicking the code link. I'll see about posting the un-compressed code somewhere.

This is my first full-blown PICO-8 title. Some of the code is rather ugly; partly because early on, I was unsure of how best to save space, and partly because I had to utilize every token-saving strategy under the sun. I've done my best to comment the un-compressed code so you can follow what's going on.

The map data was generated and lightly compressed by external map editing carts (one for each level) and jammed into strings; there are 76 "screens" in all. The last level is also a string, but it's copied from map memory into a string at runtime, because the compressed file limit said I had to do it that way. I hope to do a write-up on just how I handled all of that soon.

That's about all my fried brain can think of at the moment. Enjoy!

Edit: I can't seem to upload anything to my profile here other than images, so I've uploaded the un-compressed cartridge data to github: https://github.com/flimflamboyant/NanoMan/tree/master

P#38516 2017-03-21 18:06 ( Edited 2018-08-04 01:00)

SHOW MORE

You know what would be handy?

sfx n [channel [offset] [end]]

where [end] is the last note to be played. I'm in a spot right now where I'm needing extra space for music, and it would be very useful if I could cram more than one sound effect into a single slot.

P#38037 2017-03-04 14:22 ( Edited 2017-05-08 17:11)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 08:59:39 | 0.075s | Q:13