Cart #raquermete-6 | 2023-12-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello!

This is my first post here in this forum, and I'm bringing a game with me!

It's yet another clone for Hack*Match, a game made by Zachtronics that first appeared as a minigame inside Exapunks. I'm aware that there are a couple clones here already, but I really love this game, so the more the merrier. Besides, they really do not play identically.

The objective of the game is to make groups with at least four of the same type of blocks to make them disappear.
To that end, you can perform two actions:

1. Swap the last two blocks in a column
  2. Grab/replace the last block in a column

Bonus points are awarded for addicional blocks after the fourth in a matching group, and for all blocks in combos (groups that are formed after the first matching group disappeared).

This PICO-8 game is a reimplementation of a version that I made for Pokitto (a very-low-spec handheld) a few years back, but with some added visual effects and difficulty selection. I tried to be faithful to some of the mechanics that I like the most in the original Hack*Match game, such as the game freezing after making a group. You can continue to play while the game is frozen, and all blocks in any additional matching group reward bonus points.

I hope you'll like it as much as I do!

Thanks, bye

edit: grammar

P#138756 2023-12-16 00:13 ( Edited 2023-12-16 03:59)

I'm not too familiar with the original hackmatch, but this implementation feels fantastic to play! Art is very reminiscent of Tetris Attack :)

P#139201 2023-12-26 15:09

Many thanks!

Actually, I have never played Tetris Attack and do not recall having seen it before, but now that you mentioned it, I looked it up and you are completely right! I feel like I inadvertently cloned this aspect of it ahaha.. When I first drew the sprites for the Pokitto version, I was trying to draw simple and distinct shapes because I accepted that doing anything close to the graphics of the original Hack*Match would be way beyond my artistic abilities :P

P#139260 2023-12-27 14:40

one of my favorite games on the site always can sink many hours into i believe it should be featured!!

P#142704 2024-03-10 01:52

@Jaxs3n$7
I'm glad to hear that you're having a good time with the game! Many thanks!

P#147351 2024-04-26 02:24 ( Edited 2024-04-26 02:31)

[Please log in to post a comment]