Cart #dragonxvi_fnaf-0 | 2023-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This was a little project I started around Halloween, something I've seen a few attempts of before, but wanted to try it m'self: remake the first FNAF game in PICO 8.

The actual mechanics of the game are fairly simple, most of it's just timers + dice rolls, but trying to ape the presentation of the game was probably the biggest challenge. In the end opted for a sort've mix of first person and top down perspectives.

Think the behaviours are fairly authentic to the original, there's a couple of functional under the hood differences. Despite being decompiled and heavily analysed there's still a lot of vague information about how some of the mechanics work in the original, but there was enough there to get the basics down.

As always this is a fan made demake - all characters 'n concepts are (c) Scott Cawthon.

Controls:

• Controls are entirely mouse controlled.
  • (Cheat) Hold Z/button 1 to skip time while in game.

Features:

• The 4 classic animatronics with their original behaviour.
  • All 5 nights from the original game with save system.
  • Bonus 6th night unlocked after beating Night 5.
  • Bonus custom night unlocked after beating Night 6.

Hints:

• If you hear stomping, it means an animatronic is getting closer and may be found in the lower half of the map
  • Can't find someone on the cameras but think they're close? Check the door lights in the office.
  • Bonnie and Foxy will travel via the left hall, while Chica and Freddy use the right.
  • Hear a strange noise and can't close one of the doors? Someone's got into the office...

Stuff that didn't make it:

• Golden Freddy: his poster is set up to swap, but didn't get his actual appearance in.
  • Hallucinations.
  • The end game reward screens (earning your paycheck/getting fired etc).

Plenty of tokens left for adding stuff and code is mostly awful.

Number of times I jumpscared myself while working on this: 7

P#138272 2023-12-05 14:41 ( Edited 2023-12-05 14:51)

This is really cool!
it feels very nice to play, and feels like the real game.
nice job!

P#138276 2023-12-05 15:56

ok so this is my first time ever playing a fnaf game and thought "how scary could this be in a pixelart" and boy was i wrong i'm lucky because i was born with low blood pressure because if had average blood pressure and played the original game i would have severe issues sleeping at night, or even worse

i could have a heart attack but this time it would have been for real

P#138307 2023-12-05 22:21 ( Edited 2023-12-05 22:22)

Super impressive :o

P#138315 2023-12-05 22:55

this was a really cute demake!

P#138322 2023-12-06 00:39

[Please log in to post a comment]