Cart #shockadoodle-1 | 2023-11-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

SHOCK-A-DOODLE

MEET DANNY DOODLE
He was always ambitious and diligent, always eager to satisfy his superiors, never sloppy and never not willing to run the extra mile to fulfill every new task with the highest level of precise focus and unwavering dedication. Danny Doodle had put all of his eggs in one basket. He believed in the system, believed in SusCorp Inc. and knew that his big break had to be imminent. He believed in it for 25 years.

Today he has decided to wake up. He won't lose any more feathers over a stupid company that doesn't appreciate him and probably sees him as nothing more than just another cock in their machine. It's time to run. It's time to exit through the Shock Factory and hopefully not get fried on the way out. It's time to get back to the henhouse and show the whole world what this rooster is capable of.

CONTROLS
Shock-A-Doodle can be played with a keyboard:
Use the ARROW KEYS to RUN LEFT and RIGHT.

Use the X KEY to JUMP.

If the game prompts you to use the CIRCLE BUTTON, simply press the C KEY instead.

(Don't rest on the ARROW KEYS for too long or your jumps won't be registered.)

BEHIND THE SCENES
This game was developed in Pico-8. It's super short and can be finished in less than a minute. Creating a platformer in Pico-8 is very tricky because the more sprites you use, the smaller your map will get: It's one of many restrictive aspects of the fantasy console, that challenges developers to get more creative and "economical" in their process. Instead of using smaller sprites, I decided to use every last pixel on the map to create a short but challenging level, which I then called "The (Shock) Factory". Due to the fact that it's a very short experience, I decided to implement a timer, which will give competitive gamers the opportunity to speedrun through the level and try to beat their personal best (There's no highscore table o. e., but feel free to take a screenshot when you get to the winning screen.^^ ). Shock-A-Doodle is my second attempt to create a game in Pico-8 and I used many youtube tutorials and reddit threads to get a better understanding of its specific "commands" and "concepts". It was a "punishingly" fun and instructive experience and I really hope, you'll enjoy the product it resulted in.

Shock-A-Doodle was developed

by MEGABELUGA aka W. Dolle in 2023

P#137679 2023-11-20 15:31 ( Edited 2023-11-21 13:08)

Love the art style of this! Great job even if it is short.

P#137681 2023-11-20 16:16

@thesailor Thank you. I went through some different iterations with the level and character design and am also quite pleased with the final result. Working with such a small amount of pixels is always a challenge. :D

P#137697 2023-11-20 22:53

Really nice graphics and I enjoy the gameplay. A bit hard but that what makes it fun.

P#137861 2023-11-24 19:16

[Please log in to post a comment]