Cart #j_t_nightmare_realm-4 | 2023-11-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I procrastinated my Godot Project by creating this game instead. I got a timelapse of the coding process over on Mastodon, it was all done this weekend. So please excuse some messy code bits. Anyway.

Journey Through The Nightmare Realm

You (and up to 7 friends) awaken in a dark dungeon. Nothing is as it seems. You have to stick together to not loose one another in the ever changing layout of the dungeon. The dungeon seems to keep track of your progress and rewards you with some stairs leading deeper into the dungeon every so often.

Controls

Player 1:
X to Shoot
Arrows to move

Player 2:
Q to shoot
ESDF to move

Multiplayer

Connect up to 7 controllers to play with up to 8 people at once!

The first player is the "king/queen" (notice the little crown), if they die the game is over for everybody. The other players can respawn with a totem.

Pickups

The heart that replenishes 1 HP

The Totem that can bring back a dead friend(if you're playing with friends)

The pistol you know and love, slow but reliable

The submachine gun you long for, try not to swap it for a pistol

(NEW) The shotgun has quite the knockback, but it one shots the grunts

Updates

-12/11/23 Refactored a lot of maps, made it harder without testing them. Reduced max HP. This is gonna be fun.
-12/11/23 Fixed a collision thingy, refactored some more maps and added whimsical minimal animations
-13/11/23 The Blooddate: Added the shotgun, a LOT of blood and made some more balancing changes
-13/11/23 Added 30 FPS and a menu option to toggle the gore(thanks, Kevin Trepanier)

P#137325 2023-11-12 19:24 ( Edited 2023-11-13 20:32)

Played single player. Loved, loved the little detail of bleeding when hurt while walking. The room changes keep things interesting and obviously the shotgun is hella fun to play with as you have to be very strategic with where you stand while shooting. Wish there were more variety in enemies or treasure chests in the rooms. Also maybe Melee combat? Don't know if that's possible or how that will look like here.
Anyway. Looking forward to the games progress.

P#137377 2023-11-13 17:09

Thank you so much for your feedback and ideas! How could melee combat look and work gameplaywise? Do you have ideas?
And yes, there should be more enemy types :)

P#137380 2023-11-13 17:27

I really enjoyed this game. The blood trails really add to the drama. I did die a few times from accidental diagonal moves into spikes. Maybe you could make diagonals impossible to do? Or just less spikes? The other idea I had is health could refill slowly over time to make things a bit easier. The ability to have many players is amazing and hard to find in the pico-8 library. Thanks for making it!

P#137480 2023-11-15 16:58 ( Edited 2023-11-15 17:05)

Sorry for the late reply, I completely overlooked your reply. I'm glad you enjoyed the game! I did think about making diagonal movement impossible, but the aim felt bad when i tried it. Less spikes is probably the way to go, or smaller hitboxes for them ^^
The very limited health is a lazy way to make this game harder, and If I had put more time into this game and not just a weekend I would probably have tried to come up with something clever. I liked the thrill of staying alive with 1 heart for a long time, so refilling the health over time was not an option for me. Also the trades (TWO HP for a better gun) would not make sense with health that slowly regenerates.
But thanks a lot for your feedback, just wanted to let you know my gamedesign thoughts or lack thereof :D

P#138133 2023-12-02 10:00

[Please log in to post a comment]