Cart #eyevasion-24 | 2024-02-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

controls

arrow key left and right = move
x = shoot/select
o = fire special weapon/re-roll shop
arrow key up and down = adjust turret shot angle

*requires owning the upgrade from the store.

Eyevasion is my first Pico-8 project, but it certainly won't be my last. If you really enjoyed this game and want to help fund the coffee supply for the next one, you can hit the donate button over on my itch.io page, or just share this with a friend who might enjoy it too.

A massive shout-out to LazyDevs who inspired this game and helped me get this far, and to everyone in the Pico-8 community who play-tested and gave feedback - you're all awesome!

Thank you for taking the time to play my game

changelog

• Added new icon when bomb upgrade is owned.

• Fixed a long-standing bug where damage upgrades were not applying correctly

• fixed a crash at level 10
P#136701 2023-10-31 20:48 ( Edited 2024-02-01 18:23)

This is radical! I'd love to see more of this kind of stuff!

P#138565 2023-12-11 17:28

fantastic, i'm really enjoying the level up mechanic in this.

P#138583 2023-12-12 06:06

Tough, but pretty fair. Managed to beat it by focusing on dodging as my only defense and prioritizing turrets > fire rate > damage > speed. The only balance issue I'd point out is the special weapon seems to be a consumable, which means you probably might as well take an extra life. The boss looked pretty cool. The small enemies that fire those fast, big aimed shots were definitely the scariest. Overall, it was a shmup that felt well above-average to play. Fun!

P#140385 2024-01-21 04:26

Phew, got through that by the narrowest of margins. I bought two HP upgrades on the final two levels.

I really like how you make use of the screen top and bottom when moving between levels - returning to base in the regular ones and confronting the boss at the end. It's a small thing, but it helps sell the plot notion of defending something.

I agree with @Rascal that, if the special weapon is intentionally one use per run, it's not worth taking. Could it be either one per wave or have a powerup that restores it?

P#140430 2024-01-22 11:36

@Rascal and @Cowirrie Congrats on beating the game! Thank you for taking the time to play it and leave feedback, it's very much appreciated.

The special weapon was definitely something I added very late into the game and didn't put as much thought into as I should. I didn't want it to be too powerful as to make it a necessary part of a run, but I think you're correct that the balance is too far in the other direction. I will iterate on some ideas of how to better balance this upgrade and will release an update once I have something that works for the game.

I'm glad you enjoyed your time with Eyevasion, it was my first real attempt at making something in Pico-8, and I'm looking to take what I've learned into future projects and continue making games with it.

P#140432 2024-01-22 12:15

[Please log in to post a comment]