Cart #rumejuhopi-10 | 2023-10-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

info below description (pls read im interesting i think)

Dig To China
A game about digging.. to china!
arrow keys to move
x to bomb

-- upgrade info --

• Bomb -> gives the player 1 bomb
  • Pickaxe -> Increases mining power (price and effectiveness per upgrade scales)
  • Timer -> Increases starting time, along with max time (max time is 10+startingtime) (price and effectiveness scales per upgrade)
  • Hat -> Not really something to work to.. but it increases speed 2x

v0.35c
The China update

-- CHANGES --

Added final layers
Added china
tried to fix a bug (didnt)

Dig To China was originally a flash game on coolmath and gamesbutler
However, flash died
All attempts to revive it with emulators crash
So I decided to remake it so I can play it in school like I did all those years ago.

The game is no longer infdev !! yay :D

So far I'm pretty proud of the game, having only been on pico for 3 weeks.
If you're going to read the code, I'm sorry...
I'll improve it later I swear

Please give me feedback in the comments, I want this game to be the best it can be!

-- KNOWN BUGS --
Upgrade buttons have random positions each time
Only 1 bug :D

P#135673 2023-10-09 21:38 ( Edited 2023-10-22 17:20)

Interesting game.

The player might need more initial duration.

p.s. Delete the [# your_cart_id #] in the editor can remove the old cart(maybe).

P#135680 2023-10-10 02:03 ( Edited 2023-10-10 02:25)

I think I found your bug @JessOnPico. I did a run and when I was returned to the surface I clicked on a bomb to buy it and got the following error:

P#136238 2023-10-22 15:57

@phil Thank you for finding this! it has been fixed. sorry.

P#136240 2023-10-22 16:27

@JessOnPico Thanks for fixing the bug so quickly. I have started to get into this game now and its pretty good! I played normally for a while, upgrading my items a few times before thinking I could just bomb my way to China (!!!), but I got stuck at one of the deeper levels and didn't make it.

There are a few glitches - when it scrolls back up, some of the path seems to disappear at the bottom of the screen. And the timer and bomb count do get a little unreadable.

A save option would be nice - I realise that you can't die in this game but I don't really fancy doing the early grind again. I'd quite fancy just dipping into this game every now and then to see how much further I can get.

This game is really good, especially for only doing PICO for a few weeks. Well done!

P#136252 2023-10-22 21:37

@phil Thank you again for the feedback! I have implemented a timer bar instead of a display for 0.4 that should help the timer be readable, however I'm unsure how to go about making the bomb text more readable. The scrolling back up has been a problem for ages, I do hope to finally squash it before beta (0.5). A saving option is planned, but I haven't found any resources that teach me how. Again, thank you for the feedback and I'm glad you've enjoyed my game :)

P#136255 2023-10-22 23:00

I reach it after a while! Not sure if digging diagonally is intended? or being sucked/pushed downwards into blocks and overwriting them if you are at a werid position inside of them while digging like that..
Took me a while to get past the core-area, had to use bombs for that which was fun, though the bombs on the right hand side of the screen would overflow into the bottom left side and at one point I could walk off the side of the screen back to a higher area? Not sure if the bombs broke the border or what.
being upside down as a completion bonus is pretty great. If I were to give input I think you should put '\#5' at the start of your strings you print to give them a background color (in this case 5.) cause against the dithered soil it can be hard to read the timer or announcements.
Had fun though.

P#138438 2023-12-08 09:31 ( Edited 2023-12-08 13:54)

Beat it! After some time, I developed a secret strategy:

bombs are faster than digging, so I'll just use bombs.
That's how I got to the end. :)

This game was surprisingly fun. I liked the fact that it had an end goal: There was a very clear game win state and end. I also liked that the player can be inventive in how they're going to reach the bottom. The reward for winning was fun, though after beating such games I rarely go back. There are ways to counteract this if you want a long-lasting player-base, but all-in-all, I thought this was a really fun little game!

P#138451 2023-12-08 18:10

Well that was really fun!
Congrats.👍

P#139038 2023-12-22 17:59

[Please log in to post a comment]