Page:

Voxatron's out! For the next 2 weeks you can grab the Alpha version exclusively from humblebundle.com. All future updates are available free of charge, and you can pay whatever you like for it. Also in Humble Bundle tradition you can choose how to split your payment between two kick-ass organisations: Child's Play and the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

The game consists of a voxel and map editor, along with an arcade mode and a sample world ("Adventure Mode") which shows some of the things you can do with the current editor. In fact, all of the adventure mode was made with the editor (except for the dragon boss, which is a bundle of quick hacks). I've spent most of the development effort so far making sure the editor is powerful and easy to use. After a few hours, there are already some nice custom maps springing up in the BBS, and I can't wait to see what kind of whack things will come out of it.

Where to Now?

I certainly hope you enjoy the Alpha if you decide to grab a copy, but honestly -- this is only the beginning! My general notion of Voxatron is that it should be a playground in which you can experience a variety of styles of gameplay leveraging the voxel-based format. Part of this will happen in the editor -- as I add more features, people can make and share weirder and more interesting things. And part of it will be building out the main game world.

What's the Fork?

In general, I don't think it's a good idea to keep a project in a constantly presentable/releasable state. For technical reasons, it encourages short term hacks and a reluctance to take things apart and design them cleanly. And especially from a creative position, once something is observed by other people it often seems to freeze into an unmoveable state, in the expectations of players and the mind of the designer. It's better to keep everything as fluid as possible, allowing interesting possibilities to reveal themselves and position themselves as provisional assumptions that more interesting things can emerge from.

So, where was I? The Fork! Yes -- so, given the scope of Voxatron it quickly became clear that to make it happen, I'd need to release it early. For such a user-driven game, it also makes sense to let the tools co-evolve the users. But to resolve this with the need to keep a healthy development process, I'll roughly split the development into two streams:

• The editor and engine: These will be updated regularly (at least once a month). For the next couple of weeks, I'll be working mainly just on any technical problems people are having. At the moment there are issues with drifting controls and multi-monitor setups. After that I think the most requested and pressing feature is a monster designer, and the ability to re-skin the player & pickups.

• The game world: This will remain mostly hidden until nearer completion. I'll be working with some very talented designers to build out the main game, and hopefully we can outdo whatever people are making in the editor.

In both cases, all updates will be available for free to registered users (and accessible through the Humble Bundle games page).

So How Does this Game Work?

I'll post some technical notes on Voxatron here at some stage, but in brief:

Voxatron is based on a virtual 128x128x64 display. It's a buffer of 3d video memory that is rendered out to the screen at the end of each frame, much as an old-school 2d display is. You can POKE bytes into the virtual memory, and they come out as voxels. I don't compromise on this -- even the menus are drawn into the voxel display. Hopefully one day I can get hold of a real physical 128x128x64 display and play Voxatron on it with almost no modification.

The renderer is written in software (C + SDL). Each frame, scan through the virtual video memory back to front and look for voxels that have empty neighbours. If they are exposed, I transform the corners of a cube intro screen space and scan-render the polygon. Shadows are done with a traditional shadow-map but sampled with a filter to get the soft shadows.

Fix the Controls!

ok, I realise that it's weird to make a game that looks and sounds like a homage to Robotron without dual-stick control. I'm not going to be a dick about it -- there's a lot of demand for this and I'll add a dual stick option soon. But! There's a reason for it -- there is so much jumping in the game, and it is so central to the gameplay that jumping really needs to feel natural. I don't personally miss having a separate directional control for shooting, and any variation of dual-stick+jump that I tried felt extremely clumsy. Even in levels that are very robotron-esque (the first arena), it's vital to be able to hop over rubble, bullets, and especially into crowds of monsters to swipe a pickup. I think it's worse for the game to feel like "Robotron.. in 3D! With awkward jumping!"

But as I say, although I feel the style of control is integral to the identity of the game, I'm not going to force you to use my ivory tower view of the controls. For now, you can try ASDW+mouse (even more odd), or the numpad for shooting if you have one.

Voxatron doesn't Work!

It seems a good number of players are getting burnt by a sticky key problem (player drifts in one direction), and a couple of multi-monitor and linux dependency issues. I'll do my best to resolve them quickly amongst the sleep deprived chaos that I'm experiencing right now. If you have a problem, and especially if you found a temporary work around to it, please feel free to make a quick post about it on the BBS or in the comments.

P#1694 2011-10-31 18:26 ( Edited 2015-11-27 03:04)

great work zep....maybe have a wee nap ;P

P#1696 2011-10-31 18:30 ( Edited 2011-10-31 22:30)

Love the game! Thank you so much for the fun!

P#1700 2011-10-31 18:54 ( Edited 2011-10-31 22:54)

great game ! congratulations :)

P#1704 2011-10-31 19:17 ( Edited 2011-10-31 23:17)

game is great. Where do I look for levels to download?

P#1705 2011-10-31 19:27 ( Edited 2011-10-31 23:27)

The game is awesome. Good job on it!

P#1711 2011-10-31 19:40 ( Edited 2011-11-01 16:15)

Very fun game. Thanks for this!

For the controls: Idea: If people have controllers that have L3/R3 input (Pushing in the analog), might be a good idea to bind Jump to those. I have a similar setup for a game I play often, and having the Evade button for that game on L3 feels very natural, and I don't have any issues with that. Should work in Voxatron too.

Just an idea.
~Polantaris

P#1719 2011-10-31 19:48 ( Edited 2011-10-31 23:48)

Hmm, assuming everyone went with the default split, Voxatron will have already made well over what the average american makes in a year (~71k). In a few hours. And there's still two weeks to go.

How do you feel about that Zep?

P#1723 2011-10-31 19:51 ( Edited 2011-10-31 23:51)

Just did my first Adventure play through. SO frickin fun. Can't wait to design some stuff myself. Control-wise I found the WASD+NumPad to be the best option for me. Normally I'm a WASD+Mouse person, but the mouse felt funky (not a problem for this kind of shooter).

But if you're worried about the controls, just let them be 100% configurable. That solves any problem the default controls may have.

The BBS list is pretty kick ass as well, although I'd love to see that more robust later (primarily a "favorites/save" feature to let you keep a list of maps you really like in an easily accessible list). Leaderboards and map ratings would be awesome, but having to host that kind of DB may not be economically feasible for an indie game. Just a thought though.

P#1762 2011-10-31 21:14 ( Edited 2011-11-01 01:14)

Everything looks great but the game keeps crashing when I try to select adventure or arcade. ppc g4 mac osx tiger 10.4.11 w/ radeon 9200 here.

P#1766 2011-10-31 21:29 ( Edited 2011-11-01 01:29)

Oh man, I was just wondering about when I'd get to play Voxatron before I read the Humble-news! Raaad!
I dig the game! It's fun and feels complete, even at this early stage. Top-notch aesthetics and atmosphere.
Can't wait to see all the crazy stuff you're going to add! As others have mentioned, I'm certain there will be a very productive community for the game, there's already some cool stuff up ('Voxacastle' is especially great!).

P#1767 2011-10-31 21:35 ( Edited 2011-11-01 01:44)

Okay for some reason I can load up bbs levels without it crashing. They don't actually load of course just me running around a blank red square. Yet adventure and arcade still crash for some reason.

P#1769 2011-10-31 21:49 ( Edited 2011-11-01 01:49)

Awesome game. Love it.

I have a question.

Will you be adding this game to Steam? Not an issue either way just curious.

Also if you do add to Steam will those who purchased through the HumbleBundle be given a key for Steam?

Thanks.

Can not wait for more updates and to see where the community takes this game.

P#1775 2011-10-31 22:22 ( Edited 2011-11-01 02:22)

tom -- try the BBS LEVELS option under the PLAY menu. It's a little wonky right now (you can only reliably view the first page) but will be fixed shortly.

noonoodle -- it looks like the png loader is broken for ppc machines. I'll look into getting/writing a replacement.

SickBoy -- agreed about configurable controls. I think I will give up on any attempt to unify the control scheme.

P#1777 2011-10-31 22:26 ( Edited 2011-11-01 02:26)

I would have to say that the WASD + Numpad feels most natural and comfortable. For another control option though, I suggest having WASD + IJKL for a duel-stick feel. Also, I do love the game, but I feel as though the Adventure mode feels more like small challenges disconnected rather than an actual adventure.

P#1779 2011-10-31 22:31 ( Edited 2011-11-01 02:31)

Hello. Got the news for this game in my inbox earlier today before I went out to class. I've played it maybe for 3 hours so far and I encountered something that bothered me. Most of the time when I move backwards or sideways I can't jump while firing. This is detrimental with how much jumping you have to do.

Also one time when I was playing the Arcade mode the game crashed on me when enemies swarmed me.

Now for some suggestions. Since this game is going to probably have a bunch of buildables for levels, why not add expansions? You could also make this into a racer, a fighter, puzzle (that one I encountered REALLY made me hate those blue tiny cube things). or hell even an RPG or some kind of Rouguelike would be sweet. Along with the ability to customize your main character...and perhaps an ability to swap weapons, unless that would make things too easy.

Happy Halloween ya'll.

P#1802 2011-10-31 23:42 ( Edited 2011-11-01 03:42)

I would love to see this game be multiplayer, a co-op mode would be awesome. It would be nice if there was a server set up sort of deal like Minecraft and Terraria, where you host a server and then people can connect to it.

P#1807 2011-10-31 23:51 ( Edited 2011-11-01 03:51)

I can confirm wonkiness with dual-display linux - I have an admittedly weird combination of 1024x1280 (portrait) next to 1920x1200. Whether fullscreen or windowed, my in-game resolution options are 2944x1280, 1472x640, 800x600, 800x480. For now, is there place I can manually configure a resolution?

P#1808 2011-10-31 23:57 ( Edited 2011-11-01 03:57)

Will buy in a couple days, looking forward to purchasing!

P#1810 2011-11-01 00:00 ( Edited 2011-11-01 04:00)

@dorino "Triggers for Jump and dual stick for movement/shooting would definitely work well."
Yeah, I don't see what the issue would be with that, at least for people who own gamepads. I got a free OnLive system recently, and the best part of that I now own a pretty decent PC gamepad. :D

Camera comments: I feel like there might be some tweaking needed for camera. I don't know that full controls are needed... maybe make it a more overhead view? The angle it is at now often obscures background objects, which just ain't good at all. You could also make things semi-transparent like some hack-n-slash games are doing these days. That is, make the player, mobs, power-ups, projectiles and such have an outline that is visible through the environment. It's hard to explain; perhaps someone can link a video of what I'm describing?

Anyway, I just played through the Adventure tonight in pretty much one sitting, and it was great! Issues with lack of dual-stick aiming notwithstanding, the controls work great. It all feels really tight, which you very much need for a 3D platformer. I felt like I wasn't jumping much at first, but as I played I started to get used to having a jump and started to make better use of it.

What did surprise me was that the most fun I had was in some of the rooms with only a few enemies, that were more based on precision platforming and the Build weapon. There were a few lava levels like this, and the limited ammo on the Build weapon makes it feel almost like a puzzle platformer, something like Portal or the like. So I'm hoping to see a ton of levels like that, either from you or the community.

I bought this game for $10 (~$6 went directly to you) having never seen nor heard of it before solely off a few seconds of footage that showed beautiful art style, retro feel, fun mechanics, the Humble Bundle name, and Notch's recommendation, and I don't regret it at all. Great game all around. The fact that this is an alpha is exciting. And, hell, I haven't even looked at the editor tools you have, yet.

Can't wait to see what you have coming.

P#1813 2011-11-01 00:32 ( Edited 2011-11-01 04:32)

Seems like I found another issue. At times i can't even run, fire and jump while even move forward. So something needs to be done about the Run+Fire+Jump thing.

P#1819 2011-11-01 01:00 ( Edited 2011-11-01 05:00)

+1 to JRR's comment above. I'm dual screening on Linux, and my resolution options include both monitors, stretching the display across the two.

P#1823 2011-11-01 01:04 ( Edited 2011-11-01 05:04)

I'm so happy that controller support is already implemented. I was just wondering if the menus will also have controller support. It's not really a big deal; it's just a small hassle having to switch from controller to keyboard every time I pause.

P#1825 2011-11-01 01:22 ( Edited 2011-11-01 05:22)

As a geek I'm looking forward to hearing more about how the graphics engine works.

P#1826 2011-11-01 01:27 ( Edited 2011-11-01 05:27)

Just purchased this game through the Humble Bundle and I have to say that I'm impressed!

One suggestion though is that since you're implementing the WASD+mouse controls scheme, you would need to display the mouse cursor (or some sort of fixed moving crosshair or such) so that it'll be easier for the player to know where he's shooting. I know the game works better with a gamepad that has dual analog sticks, but not everyone has the money to blow cash on a Logitech/PS3/Xbox 360 controller.

Keep up the awesome work!

P#1860 2011-11-01 03:16 ( Edited 2011-11-01 07:16)

Awesome game! However, I have something to ask you.

Can you increase the game's voxel resolution just a tad more? I feel that the characters are slightly large compared to the viewable area, This makes it feels a bit claustrophobic and prevents you from seeing more of the voxel goodness. I get the style you're going for and I think you can still achieve that by increasing the viewable map size a little more. You could also try making the resolution rectangular and have it clip at the bottom 2 sides, instead of showing it all like in the current version.

But besides that, awesome! :D

P#1870 2011-11-01 04:18 ( Edited 2011-11-01 08:39)

Okay, firstly great to see it released as I've been following for some time.

What I find frustrating is going into windowed mode, the window hangs outside my screen because of the default window pane.

Because I have dual monitors (or not), when in windowed mode, the mouse appears on the second screen and drops focus on the game. Maybe a work around would be to implement "focus" and if this happens, it pauses the game?

Secondly, no key changing. Why not!?

The system for aiming needs improvement, you end up running around the screen trying to get it to aim the direction you want. This clearly needs some refinement.

Aside from that, great game and always been a fan of Voxels, now this game shows them off nicely.

Thanks and keep it coming. If we can supply feedback, just let us know what you need testing.

P#1884 2011-11-01 06:42 ( Edited 2011-11-01 11:23)

Really much fun to play with! Thanks so far!!!

P#1908 2011-11-01 08:10 ( Edited 2011-11-01 12:10)

Hey zep, did you think about OpenCL acceleration? Would help a lot with performance. :)

P#1910 2011-11-01 08:18 ( Edited 2011-11-01 12:18)

Voxatron is a new classic in my eyes, I feel it has more replayability then smash tv and more friendly on the eyes then Robotron. Great work, great program!
I hope an autoupdate will be released soon for this game, and/or even a search engine for user generated content.
FPS are lacking for a simple program, but it makes up with a solid feel and look.
5 stars.
Angie

P#1913 2011-11-01 08:39 ( Edited 2011-11-01 12:39)

Hi!

Bought Voxatron. Nice game, but i hate the controls.

I suggest an option to control your character like this:

Use arrows to control movement and WASD to control shooting direction (or vice versa).

P#1914 2011-11-01 08:50 ( Edited 2011-11-01 12:51)

I didn't pay a great deal for the previous Humble Bundle (the one before Frozen Synapse) but I was happy to give $25 to help development of Voxatron.

I haven't actually played it yet, but the intro video had me sold.

This will give me a break from Minecraft :)

P#1915 2011-11-01 09:00 ( Edited 2011-11-01 13:00)

Looks great and picked it up today, good luck with everything and looking forward to future plans! :)

P#1918 2011-11-01 09:20 ( Edited 2011-11-01 13:20)

I know the controls have been a continuing point of griping for people, but I want to add my own two cents.

Personally I think that the basics of the control scheme are there. Using WASD to move around feels perfectly fine, but having all the controls on the right hand is quite difficult for me to adjust to. I keep feeling like I should be using the mouse to aim my shots. However, that is VERY strange feeling, and doesn't feel nearly as accurate as necessary. I would suggest for those wanting to use WASD and the mouse to create a faux dual shooter feeling, making space jump, WASD movement, and adding an aiming reticle for mouse fire aiming would be the best option. Without the reticle it just feels quite strange to aim with the mouse and very difficult to tell it's actual location.

For those with a controller, a dual stick shooter setup would work very well if jump is placed on a trigger. For those used to controllers it wouldn't feel odd at all, and the jump would still be used as often as you want for the game. I'd also suggest a schematic to use the triggers to fire, like in an FPS, with A (or X or w/e key is on the bottom) as jump. This would be similar to the standard controls as they are now, but suitable for a controller and fairly similar to controls most console users would be used to already. It wouldn't be a dual stick setup, but it would be comfortable to play using the trigger and joystick to move/aim/fire like the basic controls, and you'd still have your thumb free to use A to jump.

Other than the controls, the game is damn fun, good looking, and I'm loving the destruction you can create. Each time you play a level it'll break down in a new way. Very very cool game, great work! =)

P#1920 2011-11-01 10:23 ( Edited 2011-11-01 14:23)

Bought, installed, played and finished it. This morning :) (And loved it, of course)

The best control scheme, for me, is wasd+numpad. If we had a cursor on the screen the mouse should work better.. however, it might stray too much from the intended gameplay design, as a cursor makes it way easier!

P#1922 2011-11-01 10:41 ( Edited 2011-11-01 14:41)

For some reason all the colors are shades of yellow and green instead of the vibrant pinks and blues. Again. PPC osx 10.4.11

P#1927 2011-11-01 10:44 ( Edited 2011-11-01 14:44)

Bought Voxatron this morning, great game, love the frantic pace and difficulty. The graphics are just adorable! Can't wait to see how this progresses!

P#1945 2011-11-01 12:04 ( Edited 2011-11-01 16:04)

I hate to pile onto the controls more, but I tried my Dual Shock Logitch pad. When I used the stick to move I could not move to the left, and when I used the stick I could really only move forward and back.

P#1960 2011-11-01 12:27 ( Edited 2011-11-01 16:27)

Love the game so far. Delicious voxelness. It seems everyone is adding there two bits so:
Add an Easy, Med, Hard: on easy getting hit only takes a 1/3 heart, med a 1/2, and hard a full, super hard can't get hit.

On the level editor allow the camera angle to be set for each scene/room/lvl. That way a full map can be made w/o camera worry and then just set the best camera for each scene/room/lvl.

I like the transparent/outline of each voxel in front of your character idea in case you get stuck behind something and can't see where you are stuck!!

Keep up the amazing work. I can't wait to see the future of this game.

P#1970 2011-11-01 13:12 ( Edited 2011-11-01 17:12)

How do you get mouse controls because this asdw+directionals and z/x c/v is awkward as hell and not at all comfortable. Remap please?

Also the first board that tells you the controls only shows up temporarily then disappears never to appear again. I can barely read that text you had going on. fix?

Also how the heck do I get 60~ fps on this only to turn on 2x2 aa and drop down to 25?

My comp can play most pc games at max so this is kind of needing optimization.

P#1980 2011-11-01 13:35 ( Edited 2011-11-01 17:36)

I think wasd movement, space to jump and arrow keys to shoot would be best (not numpad, laptops don't have them, it's more cumbersome and the diagonals are not needed as up and right can be used for a diagaonal etc.).

Also I too think the camera angle is too shallow, I resorted to pressing escape to line up my jumps as I kept falling into the lava.

P#2082 2011-11-01 17:26 ( Edited 2011-11-01 21:26)

So good!

Although, I'd like to see some more resolutions.

The jump from 1440 down to 800 is quite steep. Why not throw 1280 and 1152 in there as well?

P#2092 2011-11-01 17:49 ( Edited 2011-11-01 21:49)

I think the best thing to do with the controls is make them fully customizable with a few different presets. I play on a Mac and find it annoying as heck when devs arbitrarily perma-set the controls to match Logitech controllers: I use an XBox 360 controller on mine. BTW, this is really amazing work thus far. I play for a bit then rage quit... but I keep coming back for more. This is shaping up to be great! BTW. I like the idea of wasd for movement and ijkl for firing!

P#2093 2011-11-01 17:50 ( Edited 2011-11-01 21:50)

I got the alpha via the Humble Indie Bundle, and just tried it now by playing the Arcade for 10 minutes. It's already completely amazing. My one qualm is that the mouse is used to aim, but nothing indicates where the mouse cursor is on the screen. Is there a setting I overlooked? If not, please implement this!

P#2199 2011-11-01 22:01 ( Edited 2011-11-02 02:01)

Zetsumeii:
::

"I would love to see this game be multiplayer, a co-op mode would be awesome. It would be nice if there was a server set up sort of deal like Minecraft and Terraria, where you host a server and then people can connect to it."

P#1807 Posted at 2011-10-31 23:51

I love that idea, I would love to see a co-op or multiplayer so I can play with friends :D!

P#2250 2011-11-02 02:08 ( Edited 2011-11-02 06:08)

You can manually edit display properties in linux by navigating to /home//.lexaloffle/config.txt

P#2439 2011-11-02 20:49 ( Edited 2011-11-03 00:49)

This game is full of win.

P#2528 2011-11-03 06:47 ( Edited 2011-11-03 10:47)

I found wasd + ijkl + spacebar to be the most comfortable option... I've already seen some quite interesting suggestions in the comments, multiplayer and a leaderboard + favourite user levels list would be great.
One of the most interesting games i played for a while

P#2727 2011-11-03 22:33 ( Edited 2011-11-04 02:33)

I love this game as much as I knew I would when the vid's starting appearing. Can't wait to see how far it goes! I'll keep adding $ to my bundle contrib every week at least a little bit.

P#2749 2011-11-04 00:39 ( Edited 2011-11-04 04:39)

great job on the sfx btw, I love 'em!

P#2750 2011-11-04 00:40 ( Edited 2011-11-04 04:40)
Page:

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 04:11:51 | 0.028s | Q:100