I did not find a global "feature request" thread, so I've made this one, sorry if I've missed one.
I'm really enjoying picotron, and it feels like a breath of fresh air after all the modern software we've gotten so used to!
The animations, customization and everything else is so awesome! And the community has jumped on the train to create so many useful commands already, like the yotta package manager, etc. It is great to see how expandable the system is.
Yet I feel like there are a few things, that would be very nice to have, that we can't really implement ourselves right now, as far as I'm, aware. I will list them here, and please feel free to add in the comments. Hopefully this will be a helpful thread for @zep

• I don't think there is a way to implement the reboot command without system-level code right now, yet it can be very useful at times
  • I think adding sound effects to some actions would greatly increase the system charm!
  • Maybe I'm missing something, but I do not think there is a way to change the system apps permanently, aka make them survive the system reset. I was playing around with trying to modify the file explorer to have a right click menu (delete, rename, info, etc), but the .p64 files seems to be reset every time. Same applies for the desktop, for example, if not modify it completely out right, maybe we could have some system-level right-click menu functionality? Would be amazing
  • At least in my testing, there is no built-in way to take a screenshot or a gif, as in PICO-8, with the function keys, that's sad :(
  • The pixel-perfect toggle in settings makes the whole system blurry, and stretch does nothing, if you are in pixel-perfect mode. As much as I enjoy crisp pixels, some monitors just don't work well with this resolution, sadly, so if there is any way to allows us to stretch the image without disabling the nearest filter, it would go a long way!
  • Any chance that we could trigger system-wide keystrokes? That would allow us to build on-screen keyboards and other fun things

I will keep updating this post as I go

P#144293 2024-03-24 13:21

Ctrl+6 to take a screenshot, Ctrl+7 to take a label for the cart

P#144294 2024-03-24 13:57

It would be great be able to change the master tuning of the synths in Picotron.

I can understand locking this in in Pico-8 but with the freedom to create bigger and more diverse programs with the Picotron workstation, a master tuning setting would truly be a boon.

EDIT: My bad I totally missed the obvious "tune" knobs :)

P#144296 2024-03-24 14:17 ( Edited 2024-03-28 23:50)

In the GFX workspace when you hover over or click a color it tells you the number designation for that color.

P#144297 2024-03-24 14:17 ( Edited 2024-03-24 15:51)

of course map's function, mget,mset,fget,fset essentials.

P#144299 2024-03-24 14:34

Regarding "pixel perfect" thing.
Picotron now takes into account global desktop interface scaling that is set under display settings, and I am not sure that it should. Because it screws scaling up and I can't get a good full screen mode with 1080p display.

P#144317 2024-03-24 19:57

Picotron tell the user before close it if a file is not saved and ask if the user wish to save or no like most of software do.

P#144339 2024-03-24 22:43

something I would find useful is right click to copy,paste,etc.

P#144885 2024-03-28 19:30

I think it would be really cool to have some kind of basic support for touchscreens and pressure-sensitive pens etc, could give the opportunity for some neat art programs in picotron, or games based on that maybe.

P#144887 2024-03-28 19:41

a function to evaluate expressions would be cool. or maybe loadstring could be added?

print(eval("1+4*2")) -- prints 9

foo = loadstring("print(9)")
foo() -- prints 9
P#144891 2024-03-28 19:45

we have that, it’s load! (similar to lua loadstring, not pico-8 load)

P#144915 2024-03-28 22:46

It would be quite a time-saver to be able to select multiple sprites to copy or to place in the map. Additionally, a preview of where you're pasting copied pixels or tiles in stamp mode would be nice.

P#144934 2024-03-29 03:04

So I took some time to realize the "shot.png" files on my desktop were the screenshots I captured earlier... lol
Maybe an image viewer would be nice to have when clicking on an image in drive or in the desktop

P#145313 2024-04-01 01:20

Since the code editor has so much space compared to pico-8 lots of people will actually use it now.

Would be nice to have some key-bindings like maybe ctrl+a for beginning of line (instead of select all), ctrl+e for end of line
Also I think in pico-8 enter after a function automatically added an end and placed the cursor inside and tabbed. Just details but still will be nice when it comes around.

also for opening terminal from the desktop like ctrl+t

and some terminal commands like touch so that anything that can be done from the desktop can be done from terminal.

if there is a way to set those now I'm all ears

P#145352 2024-04-01 09:22

Make Window() with full screen centered and proportional stretch option like a custom resolution.

P#145357 2024-04-01 11:59

There's only 2 things at present I would love to see:

1) monospace font in the code editor (I see a monospace font in the fonts folder of picotron, how can I apply different fonts?)

2) an optional grid in the gfx editor (so I can better see the pixels I'm placing, kinda like the grid that shows up when you hold spacebar in the map editor)

P#145367 2024-04-01 14:27

The ctrl commands in the editor are defined at current line 1262 of /system/lib/gui_ed.lua with the comment heading -- ctrl-* presses

In principle you can add shortcuts/commands there. I'd like to add ctrl+[ and ctrl+] to be "comment selected code block" and "uncomment selected code block". It's a bit over my head for now, I'll post it as a code snippet if I get it worked out.

The other issue is that /system files are loaded/generated at boot, and changes there aren't persistent. You can get around that by saving the edited file elsewhere, then using the startup script to copy the edited file over to /system at boot as described here for the (deprecated) patch_load cart

P#145423 2024-04-02 00:53

[Please log in to post a comment]