I would like to request a more consistent availability of the "SHUTDOWN" menu command for handheld devices. Currently, when running Pico-8 on a handheld device (Powkiddy RGB30, Anbernic 351v, etc..) it can be difficult to shut down Pico-8. Every device has button shortcuts to force quit an App but they often won't work in Pico-8 depending on the OS and Handheld. In these cases using the "SHUTDOWN" command in the START menu is the only way to return to the OS. When launching directly into a cart, there is always a Shutdown command in the START menu

In my opinion, this is the desired behaviour.

However, when Pico-8 launches Splore mode, that menu does NOT have the "SHUTDOWN" command. It is replaced by "EXIT TO SPLORE"

From Splore it is possible to get to a Shutdown but that is hidden and sometimes not easy to access. You need to actually select a cart and press START, then select "OPTIONS"

Which will then bring up a second menu where you can actually shut down Pico-8

This is pretty cumbersome. Especially it seems like the Powkiddy RGB30 seem to have a double-trigger issue on the START button making hard to enter that cart menu in Splore without immediately launching the cart as well.

EDIT: I realized I had confused START and ESC. I edited the post. There is also an ESC menu and that works well for the purpose I'm describing here. It usually has a shutdown option. The problem I have is that many handhelds don't have a button that can be mapped to ESC so it would be good if the START menu always included a quick shutdown

P#135034 2023-09-28 12:38 ( Edited 2023-10-05 09:30)

Yes! This is frustrating. I just got the RGB30, a handheld that PICO-8 really shines on, except for some interface quirks and the difficulty exiting PICO-8.

P#136768 2023-11-01 21:44 ( Edited 2023-11-01 21:47)

I got the RGB30 for couple days and thanks for your post I finally know how to shutdown pico-8 when the shortcut is not working without force rebooting the device using the reset button on the top.

And yeah 100% agree! There should be an obvious option to shutdown the system.

P#136987 2023-11-05 23:44

This would be nice! I spent while trying to figure out how to exit splore the first few times.

responding to the exit signals would be nice too - I had to ask for help trying to shut it down after a game crashed and showed me a red blinking cursor on the pico8 commandline. (idk how it works on the backend, I just know that select+start+start will quit the other (retroarch-based) emulators on my rg351v)

P#136990 2023-11-06 01:08

Agreed, this feature would be great.

Just FYI for anyone else who has an RGB30 (the device in the post) if you hold L1, then press Start + Select, it exits PICO-8

P#138185 2023-12-03 18:05

Agreed with OP. I find exiting really unintuitive and ended up here after searching online for how to shut down. Shutting down by clicking on a game’s options was completely unexpected.

P#142020 2024-02-27 02:11

[Please log in to post a comment]