Cart #xdn_shooter_mini-1 | 2023-09-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

How to Play

Waves of enemies form in front of you. Destroy them to progress. Waves gradually become more difficult, with newer and different enemy types that each have their own attack pattern.

• Controller / Arrow Keys - Move the ship in any direction
  • (O) button / Z key - shoot your main weapon
  • (X) button / X key - shoot your spread weapon (requires energy)

Item Pickups

Defeated enemies will occasionally drop items. It's highly recommended that you grab these.

• Collect Hearts to replenish health.

• Collect Batteries to charge your Spread Weapon and Deflector Shield.

Collecting Hearts at full health or Batteries at full power awards bonus points.

Gameplay

The more Batteries you collect, the more energy your ship will have. This gives you a better Deflector Shield and a stronger Spread Weapon. Using your Spread Weapon grants you a second of invulnerability but also depletes your energy (and so reduces the power of the Deflector Shield). You are on your own to figure out the right balance of how much offensive and defensive power you want!

Enemies have several forms of attack. All can shoot. Some shots are aimless, some will go straight for you. Other shots will simply be fired in all directions!
Enemies will also randomly do a second attack, which varies even more than the types of shots they have. Some enemies simply fly downward, some fly at angles, some will target your ship and fly directly at you! Others will simply spin or bounce around. Any enemy that leaves the screen without being destroyed will return to its place in the original formation it first arrived in. You must destroy every enemy to progress!

Information

This is a typical shooter / Cherry Bomb knockoff. You encounter waves of enemies, you destroy them, you move on. I'm not that creative or that good of a programmer, but I still tried to make this version of the game "my" version. I kept running into token limits with PICO-8 as I added more and more functionality, and would end up just removing the troublesome code since I couldn't figure out how to do some of the things I wanted.

Graphics were hand-drawn by me, with influence from other games (such as Galaga).

I tried to style and color the various elements (such as items and enemies) to make it easier to quickly distinguish between them. Background stars aren't too bright, health is red, energy is blue, enemy shots are green. I made sure that the enemies' bullets were bright and easy to see. Enemy bullets (green) should be easy to tell apart from item drops such as Hearts (red) or Batteries (blue).

I tried to make the game play a bit differently from Cherry Bomb and other clones, and to reduce the difficulty so that it may be easier for a wider audience to complete.

Play-testing was done with fake08 on an RG35XX. I had friends and family play-test to try and understand ways to improve their experience.

Most sound-effects are original, but the music is not.

Music sources:

Title: Gradius, Stage 1 music
Game start: Xevious Intro Fanfare
Wave start: Gradius Insert Coin
Boss Music: drum beat taken from Cherry Bomb
Game Over: Yoshi's Safari
You Win: Gradius 3 Title Screen

Special thanks to Lazy Devs Academy on YouTube.

Tools used:
PICO-8
VS Code
Aseprite
Denote (MIDI to PICO-8)

Influence:

Galaga
Gun Potato
The.Green.Legion
Red Barron
Solar Assaulted
And, of course, Cherry Bomb

Changelog

2023-09-17, v0.3

• fixed a large sprite bug
  • new enemy sprite
  • renamed many variables in code
  • better bullet wipe transition
  • additional wave added

2023-09-14, v0.2

• token optimization
  • removed unused code
  • improved star background updates
  • tweaked sprite colors

2023-09-09, v0.1

• "good enough" release
P#134337 2023-09-14 14:58 ( Edited 2023-09-18 02:56)

This is great!

P#134341 2023-09-14 16:09

Nice work. Glad you decided to post it. Really like the hyper speed effects and it was a lot of fun to play.

P#134362 2023-09-14 21:54

You've taken Cherry Bomb and run with it to create a really beautifully polished shooter. I love the idea of balancing the shield versus the spread attack.

I've already played through this three times in a row, and I can't wait to see what else you do with PICO-8!

P#134388 2023-09-15 11:42

my weed.......

P#134407 2023-09-15 18:56

Could you make a version of your game with fixed stars? I have motion sickness and those of us who suffer from this get very dizzy with certain movements and it even gives us vertigo.

I really like your game and I would like to play it but for now I can't because it makes me dizzy, Thanks.

P#136351 2023-10-25 00:32

@basket random Beautiful effects, great idea!

P#136720 2023-11-01 03:06 ( Edited 2023-11-02 00:51)

Oh man, dat dissonance in the victory jingle.

I really like how you improved on Cherry Bomb's game feel. The movement has a good speed, enemies aren't too spongy, overall it's a pretty easy game thanks to abundant pickups, especially once you learn to use the spread shot offensively.

Accompanied by a very striking projectile sprite and swaying and orbiting Galaga-like move patterns, that are pretty non-trivial, this little game shines like a neon.

P#138265 2023-12-05 10:15

[Please log in to post a comment]