Cart #textgamdemo-2 | 2023-03-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Text game!!

read this for context:

Update 2.0!!!
changelog:
added more blocks and geometry to play around with.
made the air lifty thing easier to see.
added some spikes
made it harder to fall out of the world
fixed collision being terrible
revised code
Bug fixes:
fixed left/right collision for all objects
fixed jumping on spikes
fixed momentum being terrible
fixed top collison sometimes eating jump inputs
fixed top collision sometimes not existing
fixed visual bug where player would be in the ground
made blocks and players and other objects easier to see/differentiate against other objects

Info/credits:
this is a pico 8 "game" made without the sprite sheet or sprite, draw, fill, map, or any graphical tool outside of just the basic print() command! every asset in the game is a built-in text character! all code was made by me, which explains how messy it is, and was written in about 1 week.

this is really meant as a demo/proof of concept thing and more for learning purposes. since everything and more can be drawn as a simple text char, and most data is made up of basic math, this cart has a really low file size, and can be used to save space for sprites, tokens, map data... really anything that can be represented by a simple text character!

if you need any more info, or want to know how to implement these concepts into your own projects, just click "view code", or download the cart and boot it. dont worry if you are new to pico-8, because the whole program is heavily commented out, with even an entire tab dedicated to explanations/credits!

i hope everyone finds this cart as cool and interesting as i did! have fun creating!

...Oh yeah! almost forgot! controls are arrow keys to move and X to jump! have fun!!

vv OLD VERSION vv

Cart #textgamdemo-0 | 2023-03-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#126869 2023-03-09 22:10 ( Edited 2023-03-10 20:33)

[Please log in to post a comment]