In-game
Directions: Move Harry
O/X buttons: Jump

Menus
Directions: Move cursor
O button: Confirm
X button: Back

Hello everybody!
I am pretty new on the forum, but I'm not new to programming on Lua game engine.
I got the Pico8 to spare some of my time into game programming, even if it's not my main activity.
So far, I only did a couple of little incomplete games that are not worth sharing here, but as a challenge last year, after doing my own conversion of the classic game Pitfall (that is not worth sharing here neither), I decided to do a conversion of Pitfall 2, as the original game was more ambitious, with more gameplay variety and an iconic music track.

Quickly, I was faced with a lot of challenge, as the original game is pretty big for the original Atari 2600, with the huge map of 8 screens by 28 floors and its complex soundtrack generated thanks to a soundchip in the cartridge.
This is the first time I'm creating compression systems for fitting most data as possible as my not-so-optimized code is taking a lot of tokens, but thanks to that, I managed to fit the whole original game in a single Pico cartridge, including some surprises.

After hesitating a lot, I finally decided to share it here, to get some feedbacks on the quality of conversion and to find some bugs if some remains.
About the graphics, I know they are not so great (it's the part I'm the most bad at).

Some controls have been altered compared to the original game, as some of them are pretty frustrating nowadays, like the controls on ladders and the jumps.
I also added a save feature, so you don't have to play it in one session.

Anyway, I hope you'll have some fun with it, like I did when testing it and playing it.
I'm proud of what I accomplished and learned during the 3 months I worked on it.
And also a quick thanks to the community (aka you!) that motivated me to do this challenge!

P#124184 2023-01-13 00:19 ( Edited 2023-01-13 21:40)

Nicely done, @Retropone ! Big KUDOS for adding a SAVE GAME ability ! I managed to rescue the lost stranger and am now trying to find my way back home.

Superbly written ! Gold star.

P#124190 2023-01-13 01:43

Pitfall 2 was very nostalagic! It realeased in Walgreens Store a long time ago! :D

P#124310 2023-01-14 21:13

[Please log in to post a comment]