Cart #topo_falso_0-0 | 2019-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

-= Topo Falso =-

Originally inspired by "Topo Europe" from Radarsoft, back in the 80's, I present you "Topo Falso", a fake topography learning experience! Navigate your chopper to your targets and earn points. Learning topography has never been this fun even tough it will render completely useless otherwise! With 12 fake province capitals, 23 fake cities and 75 fake villages to memorise, there's plenty challenge available in this game!

Controls:
In menu
Up and Down to navigate
X to select the highlighted option

In game
Left, Right, Up and Down to navigate your chopper
O to go back to the menu

Features:

• Learn how to learn topography!
  • The actual topography is 100% guaranteed to be utter useless!
  • 2 continents worth exploring and memorising!
  • 3 Game modes, and a separate Remix mode
  • An extra Free Roaming mode to help you study at your own pace!
  • Powerups and portals frequently spawn to get you to your targets faster!
  • A mini-map to help you relate places and overal shape!
  • Aggressive random-warping cyclones to avoid!
  • Fantasty RPG-like city and village names!
  • A Fantasy RPG-like island shape not unlike New Zeeland, but not quite!
  • Get a time bonus when you find 10 places in a row!
  • Navigate a chopper! I mean, who doesn't want that, right?
  • Catchy single-channel yet uplifting chip-tunes!
  • An old-school marquee providing hints and personal background info tid bits of the creator!

Background:
This is my second PICO-8 game and it seems I've been able to keep a promise I made to myself: create and publish a new PICO-8 game every month. This time it took me only a week from scratch while I was (and still am) enjoying time off with my family in Tuscany under a very hot sun on a well deserved vacation! I took inspiration from Topo Europe (and other spin-offs) from Radarsoft from back in the 80's. I always thought that their approach was very apt for learning topography and it beats me why modern topography games are nothing more than multiple-choice quizes. So boring! Of course, this particular incarnation is useless if you wanna learn actual topography as I actually put some effort in having city and village names generated for a fantasy land, but I guess the method is the one thing that counts! ;) Anyway, enjoy!

P#66069 2019-07-24 16:59 ( Edited 2019-07-24 17:07)

Thanks! Yes this was of course all a bit tongue in cheek ;). But, it does work! The way to go about it is use the free roaming mode to first study the capitals of which there are only 12. Then master them in the first game mode. Afterwards work your way through cities and then villages. I won’t hold it against you if you decide not to go all the way! ;)

Cheers,
Ralph

P#66098 2019-07-25 19:13

[Please log in to post a comment]