Cart #plasma8-0 | 2024-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

INTO THE INFINITUM

Hi there, hello! I'm Olórin, and Plasma-8 is my first attempt at creating a video game.

This game takes place in my science-fantasy, Horizon Nexus campaign setting; one of the many Realms in my tabletop RPG, Fable Spark. Our story begins when the evil Dr. Malicode conjures up a legion of awful pixel phantoms. From the bowels of the Super-Möbius galaxy, he now means to invade the Astraeus Beanstalk directly! What danger, what mayhem, what a whacky turn of events! Will you save this timeline from sure destruction, or will it be lost to the endless Infinitum?

Best score I've managed to get in testing is 1,284.

HOW TO PLAY

The D-Pad pilots your ship, rocketing it across deep-space via its reserves of preternatural plasma fuel.

Holding down the X-Button fires your plasma cannon.

Pressing the O-Button fires all your pent up, excess plasma energy. Each wave you clear will restore a bit of this energy, so use it wisely. The plasma it launches can rip through enemy shots, and it deals greater damage than your regular fire. You will also be invulnerable for a short time after releasing this energy.

More info, and an explanation of the scoring system, can be found via the game's main menu.

BEHIND THE SCENES AND CREDITS

The best way to reach me is on Discord. My username is: @stephen_the_turtle
I'm also on Reddit: u/Olorin_Ever-Young
And I have a Discord server, which is the best place to follow me: https://discord.gg/BEhDg92vkM

It took me around two weeks to complete Plasma-8. If not for Krystman's awesome PICO-8 tutorials, on his Lazy Devs YouTube channel, this game wouldn't exist. All the assets are my own, but a lot of the code is taken from his tutorial. I put my own spin on the presentation, game-flow, and mechanics, however, tweaking everything to my preferences and writing new code as best I could. The kind folks over on the PICO-8 Discord server were also a big help in getting to grips with PICO-8 in general.

Here's a link to Krystman's game: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=48986

I still have a lot to learn, and this is all very new to me. I want to thank the community for its awesome and inspiring support on all fronts. You're all excellent.

P#147536 2024-04-29 06:45 ( Edited 2024-04-29 07:58)

[Please log in to post a comment]