Cart #welcomenowitches-3 | 2024-03-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome No Witches!

The gala has begun! What fun there shall be, so long as no witches attend...

The gala begins! The invitations have gone out, dresses have been bought, hair dyed and styled, jewelry adorning the many princesses of the many kingdoms. However, some witches have caught wind of the event, and have disguised themselves to sneak in and ruin the party! Follow the dress codes as the princesses enter to ensure that the party goes well!

—————————————————————————————————————————

Controls

🅾️ or Z or C - Allow princess in, have fun at the party!
❎or X - Accuse of witchcraft! Begone with ye!
⬅️ ➡️ - View rules and score

How to Play

The princesses will approach you and wait to be announced into the gala. Quickly glance them over to make sure the follow the dress code, and that their names don't appear on the list of known witches before allowing them in. Get a score of at least 20 to unlock a more difficult dress code. Be quick, for there's a limited time before the party ends.

—————————————————————————————————————————

1.1 Update

• Casual pants now match the shirt color.
• "Marigold" is now considered a plant name.
• Updated ending screen to allow immediate next game.
• Fix a bug with not being able to advance with a score of exactly 20.
• Added difficulty on the final screen.

P#144764 2024-03-28 00:05 ( Edited 2024-03-31 04:20)

Ha, this is fun! Love the art & music, and the concept is great.

I have a quibble though! My dress code was "No Pink Dresses". The witch was wearing a pink top and khaki pants. That, my friend, is not a dress! I got dinged for letting her in even though she was wearing business casual and not any kind of dress, let alone a pink one. That felt unfair :).

P#144767 2024-03-28 00:52

Every increase in difficulty I was surprised by the variety of different rules and drawings. Gold star.

At first the time limit felt impossible on the top difficulties, but I just a few rounds was enough practice to remember and apply the criteria. My best run on "Strict":

P#144816 2024-03-28 10:52

The princess responses to being falsely accused made me laugh at my failure!

You did a great job balancing the game. The difficulty curve is just about right, and the "strict" difficulty tops off where it's very challenging yet achievable. Some rules are harder to detect than others, but I like that since they give a distinct feel for each attempt. I like how you kept the princess sprites simple and readable, as it makes it much more practical to detect their dress code features.

It took some trial-and-error to learn what qualifies for some of the dress code rules, and I think that's fine as long as the logic is consistent. There is a lot of fun variety in the dress code and name rules. Much of my enjoyment from the gameplay has been from quickly recalibrating my witch detection when making back-to-back attempts.

There appear to be some rules edge cases that should be addressed. At least one that I'm certain of is for witch names "no plant words", the name prefix and suffix can combine to make a plant word: "mari" + "gold" = "marigold". However, the rule's logic did not count "marigold" as a plant word.

For a couple bits of minor feedback regarding the summary screen: It might be nice if the "play again?" selection started the next level, instead of taking the player back to the main menu. Also, it would be nice if current difficulty was displayed on the summary screen, so taking a screenshot of one's score includes that information.

Enjoyable game with creative concept, thanks for sharing!

P#145013 2024-03-29 18:17

Very cool game! I've beat it up to medium at this point. Very well done! :)

P#146748 2024-04-16 12:32

[Please log in to post a comment]