Hello,

I don't know if this is the correct category for this post type, and I'm sorry if I got it wrong.

I'm new to your community.
And I'm already experiencing a thorny problem before I've even had a chance to install pico-8.

Indeed, I'm running macOS 13.6.4 (Ventura), and I do my security updates regularly. As I prefer to trust XProtect sparingly, I've also installed a tool (CleanMyMac) that scans everything that comes in.

However, after purchasing a pico-8 license, I went to the download page I was offered and was unpleasantly surprised to be warned that a malware named AtomicStealer had just been detected on the pico-8_0.2.5g_osx.zip archive I had just downloaded (the one offered by default).

I tried downloading other versions (older ones and even the latest 0.2.6) but got the same alert (see screenshot below).

Going all the way back to version 0.2.4c, this one seems clean.

Has anyone encountered the same problem and notified the archive author?
Is there any other way of obtaining the latest stable, threat-free version?

Sorry for the French interface of the software below. But please note that "menaces" means threats.

P#141321 2024-02-09 12:23 ( Edited 2024-02-09 12:28)

For what it's worth, I used ClamAV on Linux to scan the macOS ZIP files and it does not detect any malware. I'd be curious to see what other security software says. Plenty of people are using the macOS ZIP distributions without incident as far as I know, so it could be a false positive, but I'd also be inclined to err on the side of caution like you are.

P#141324 2024-02-09 13:20

Thank you very much for your feedback, @2bitchuck.

@Keeghan kindly informed me on Discord that there is an online meta-analyzer that confirms what you say with dozens of third-party tools :

Virus Total

That's pretty reassuring! 🙂

P#141330 2024-02-09 15:04

[Please log in to post a comment]