Cart #newjeritower-0 | 2024-02-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

EDIT: Newgrounds version is out, with medals and leaderboards! It got front paged too :)
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/915352

Hey everyone! I've returned with a chunky little update :)

My awesome friend OwlBag learned how to use PICO-8 and made music for the game! We got those few songs in and didn't have to compromise on the sound effects at all. I'm very happy with how it all turned out.

I added some new effects to make the game more satisfying. Sparkles, chunks, crumbles, sparks, and more. And I also cleaned up some level design and code that really needed it. There's now another ending if you can complete the game without dying. If you can do that, you're officially awesome!

I'm waiting on uploading this version to Newgrounds, as I entered 1.0 into a contest that hasn't been judged yet. After the results are out, I'm gonna add achievements and a leaderboard using Newgrounds' API, and I'll update this post when that's out.

Thanks for the positive comments, I hope the game is even more enjoyable now :)

Also, you can press Q (x on the second controller) to mute the music.

CHEATS

Hold S and press D or F to move forward or back a level.
Hold S and press E to restart a level and reset time and deaths.
Using these will prevent you from seeing the ending until you reset the cart.

Original 1.0 Post

Cart #jeritower-0 | 2024-01-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my first PICO-8 game, Jeri Tower!!

You play as Jeri the famous red square, trapped inside some kind of smelly old tower. You'll have to do some serious critter dodging to make it out alive. It may also turn out that Jeri isn't as red as we thought...?

The old flash game, The World's Hardest Game was a big inspiration, but there's a lot of other crazy ideas in there too. You'll see ;)

It's a bit lacking in polish, as I had to fly by the seat of my pants to make it in time for Newgrounds' Pixel Day event, but updates are in the works! The game is also on Newgrounds if you want to check it out :3
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/915352

P#140626 2024-01-26 00:01 ( Edited 2024-02-08 19:00)

ah yes the worlds hardest game pico-8 edition xd

P#140637 2024-01-26 06:26

"Did you really think it was over ?"
Yes, I 100% did.
Each level on the way back, I did a small pause marveling at how it worked both ways.
Thanks a lot for the generous hit boxes, both in attack and in collisions. Had they been pixel based, the game would have been too hard for me.
145 death, 35mn

P#140750 2024-01-28 14:31 ( Edited 2024-01-28 15:07)

Impressive combination of puzzles and reflexes. Gold star.

I particular admire the sword being just out of length on the return trip - although later events show that there couldn't be a key for using it as the blue cube.

P#140791 2024-01-29 09:03

Congrats on your well deserved front page on Newgrounds @succo. Had not been there since the death of flash. Seems a lot of games are now mostly back thanks to HTML5/JS emulation of flash ?
I wonder how the pico8/achievement is done. Some JS on the container web page and some GPIO to talk to it on the pico-8 side maybe ?

P#141478 2024-02-14 05:26

[Please log in to post a comment]