BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #churchofthedevil-3 | 2021-09-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first game,
in this game you need to unlock you and 12 other people from their home and go to the "satanic church".
This game contains references about black metal.
keys are hidden under trees and rocks
The music is made by GRUBER.

P#97149 2021-09-10 10:28

Cart #zifobejaka-1 | 2021-09-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

taipei1k # game in 1023 bytes

protect taipei! destroy the aliens & avoid the bullets.

type: game (demo)
size: 1023 bytes
features:

• galaga-like gamemechanic
  • gamemechanic
  • procedural sprites
  • procedural music

enjoy

P#97142 2021-09-10 07:02 ( Edited 2021-09-10 07:10)

Cart #aniwiggle-0 | 2021-09-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

CONTROLS
←→ arrow keys
move between frames
↑↓ arrow keys
change animation speed
zx change draw color

ABOUT

I started this project on a 3 hour plane ride where I finished most of it project and had a lot of fun with it. A couple months later and I finally managed to get back to it to add saving/loading, bug fixes, onion skins and sound effects! I hope you enjoy this as much as I have while working on it ♥

If you enjoy it please consider donating so I can eat and pay rent 🙏
You can donate here: https://voxeledphoton.itch.io/aniwiggle

P#97134 2021-09-10 03:57 ( Edited 2021-09-10 03:58)

The PICO-8 manual as it stands today is flawed. What I mean by that is not only is it organized in such a way that makes it harder to gleam certain information out of it, but it also has flaws and inconsistencies with what the PICO-8 actually is. It also omits important information, such as cycle count and the extra 16 colors. eevee has already taken note of some of these flaws, but I still believe there may be more out there. There's the PICO-8 wiki, but that's not fully documented either. What we need is a new way of organizing known information about the PICO-8 into a manner which makes sense and is simple to use.

I propose the creation of a PICO-8 technical manual, a manual that fully documents everything the community knows about the PICO-8, both it's version of lua and it's editors, as well as the programs on it. It will be a collaborative project. Alternatively, we could fix the current PICO-8 wiki in such a way that it accounts for these flaws, is more detailed and easier to use. Both of these options I think could really help people like me who wish to delve deeper into how it works exactly.

P#97120 2021-09-09 23:34

Cart #bufaghyu-2 | 2021-09-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Figured Pico-8 needed a Burgertime! This is a Burgertime demake, it uses about half the resolution of the original. I tried to make it as true to the arcade version as possible. Includes all 6 levels, as well as the level 28 kill screen.

Did my best on the AI for the enemies and speeds, but with the size differences, and a few other things, probably plays slightly different than the bigger arcade version- but pretty close! I also tried to reproduce some of the bugs- for example it only shows up to level 18 in the HUD (3 times through the levels), as well as 9 lives, even though you can get more lives and keep going- just like the original.

This was one of my favourites on the Intellivision back in the day, so enjoy!

Press (Z) / Button 1 to use your pepper.

If anyone is good with sound and wants to tweak the level win, and the level start sounds, let me know!

If you have the Pico-8 desktop version and you want to play with the cart, inside of the Start_Game method, change your starting level, lives, or peppers. (LIVES, LEVEL, GLB_PEPPERS)

Some game play clips:

Updates:

1. Updated timing slightly and eliminated a bit of randomness to better match original. If you use the grouping technique for level 1, it should work same as the arcade now.
P#97118 2021-09-09 22:55 ( Edited 2021-09-11 18:47)

THIS ERROR HAS BEEN RESOLVED (09-13-21)
Closing error ticket.

I was running into an error in the newest version of Pico-8.

If you have this code:

function _init()
cls()
for i=1,8 do
  a=rand(1,2)
  print(a)
end
end

function rand(a,b)
  if (a>b) a,b=b,a
  return flr(a+rnd(b-a+1))
end

And run it. It works fine in all versions of Pico-8.

However if in immediate mode you type:

print(rand(1,2))

It works just fine in version 0.1.12c but you get an ERROR message in version 0.2.3.
It does not matter if the functions come before _init() you get the same results.

If I read this correctly it means we cannot use immediate mode to debug our functions in the newest version whereas in the earlier version, you could. I personally need this so I can check my functions in immediate mode to make sure they are working correctly.

Version 0.1.12c is the latest version where it works correctly; you can call functions in immediate mode. All versions after this up to 0.2.3 will not let you. I checked and confirmed this.

P#97117 2021-09-09 22:30 ( Edited 2021-09-13 20:33)

Amika's Quest is a roguelite Zelda-like!

Controls:

X (X, V or M on a keyboard): Sword

O (Z, C or N): Item

Pause (P): Open menu

Once items are purchased, you can switch between items in the pause menu

Cart #amikasquest-0 | 2021-09-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Credits:

Design and coding: Tyler Davis
Character design: Te'shon Farr
Music: Cory Shane Davis

P#97116 2021-09-09 21:47 ( Edited 2021-09-09 21:50)

I've been working on a project for a week or so, and my PC crashed. When I loaded up Pico again it would not let me load the file. I simply get a 'could not load' message.

I can see the file clearly and even if I try to open through the file itself, it simply tells me again that it can not load the file - so either it has become corrupt or there's something else, but it is working totally fine before the PC crashed.

Any help is appreciated!

P#97111 2021-09-09 19:13

Conways Game of life

Created by Duffhause

Cart

Cart #conwaysgameoflife-0 | 2021-09-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

You can only move cursor and toggle tiles while the game is paused

• Move cursor with arrow keys
  • Press X to toggle a cell
  • Press Z to play and pause

Code

You can view the code on Github

P#97095 2021-09-09 09:43

Cart #portal_golf-3 | 2021-09-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Chain portals together to collect all the gold!

Portal Golf is a physics puzzle game with portals. Place portals around the level in order to get the ball to collect every gold bar. You have no control over the movement of the ball and can only place portals before you start the run. Try to use as few portals as possible to earn medals, or just fill the whole level with portals and have fun!

Detailed Instructions are in-game

Controls:

• Left click on any wall with a white edge to add a portal
  • Left click and drag an existing portal to move it somewhere else
  • Right click to delete an existing portal
  • Press C to start or stop a run

If you need more help, I made an in-depth guide over here

Note that the game plays much more smoothly on desktop than web - consider downloading it. This is the full version of a game jam game I made last year. Follow me for more gamedev! https://twitter.com/MaxBize

P#97092 2021-09-09 07:01 ( Edited 2021-10-04 01:41)

Cart #animmario-0 | 2021-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello!

I am going a bit mad trying to figure out how to make a simple 4 frame sprite animation run on a loop, and then transition to a different 4 frame animation loop after a button is pressed.

Simply - I am trying to make this Mario sprite look like it is walking forward when idle, or pressing forward, and then look like he is walking sideways when pressing left or right. I can make him animate on loop when idle, but I cannot figure out how to make it animate as a different sequence after a direction is pressed, and ensure the animation runs smooth (for example, I can get it to change to the new sequence, but holding the button down keeps the sequence locked into the first frame of the animation).

I hope that makes sense! Does anyone have a simple solution?

P#97078 2021-09-08 21:39

Cart #devilchurch-0 | 2021-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

c'est mon premier jeux,
vous devez sortir vous et 12 autres personnes de leur maison et aller a la "satanic church".
ce jeux contient des references sur le black metal.
des clefs sont caches sous des arbres et rochers
la musique est de GRUBER.

P#97066 2021-09-08 19:25 ( Edited 2021-09-10 10:36)

Cart #zerpong-0 | 2021-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#97040 2021-09-08 03:10

Hello all, this is My First PICO-8 Game™︎ and therefore My First BBS Cart Upload™︎™︎, hopefully I've done it right.

Cart #unchecked_8-4 | 2023-08-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Unchecked-8 is a slight twist on the classic spike-jumping, maze exploration platformer. There are simply 10 stars to collect. Once you figure out how it works, I estimate it takes 15-30 minutes?

I wanted to dive into PICO-8, make something reasonably small, and actually release it - so I chose a remake/demake of my own short game Unchecked (previously existed in Flash and Basic). I like this so much it's now the canonical version of this game!

I first put it up on itch.io, because it had some HTML player customizations and also to hide My First P8/Lua Code™︎™︎™︎
https://rtouk.itch.io/unchecked-8
but now, with a minor update to the game, and the 0.2.3 release of P8 (with Lucky Draw!) I wanted to share it on the BBS :)

Cheers!

P#97038 2021-09-08 02:46 ( Edited 2023-08-25 02:45)

Cart #spaceshipgame-0 | 2021-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A game about shooting aliens that i made cause boredom.
The collision system is also trash but i can't make it better
[0x0]

Anyways, it's pretty cool and i have like 3 days working on it, so please tell me what you think in the comments too!
and also print("have a good day :D")

P#97024 2021-09-07 21:17

Cart #niwigidik-0 | 2021-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Some rainbow squares.
The idea popped into my head at an inconvenient time so I had to write it down on my phone. Then I pasted it into pico-8.

Seizure warning maybe.

P#97023 2021-09-07 21:06

Hello all...
Two things I want to ask about but don't think it'd justify two separate threads.

1/ Can someone explain how to do a particle explosion thing that emits in a circular pattern?
I've experimented with particles for dust etc. but thought it might be nice to have a pickup emit a circular particle system when picked up. I don't know how to work with the x and y for each particle.

2/ Can someone point me to a tutorial or code, or whatever for those old school passcode systems for level/life/score saves. I wanted to have a system in their as a homage to games gone by that one would type in a 5 digit passcode and it would carry on the game where you left off. Like Bubble Bobble used to have.

Thanks for your time.
Peej

P#97018 2021-09-07 20:19

I-ve been using PICOCAD for a while now, and i just found out how it works!!! PICO-8!!! hahahaha i downloaded pico-8 in an instant!!!

im excited to learn more about this and maybe try programing something!!!

P#97003 2021-09-07 15:51

Cart #quarder-0 | 2021-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pay attention to the top row, where the digits 0123456789 have been shuffled. Move the cursor right and left to choose a digit; press a button to select the digit. Your goal is to select four digits which are in order, or in reverse order. (Keeping a consistent beat to your inputs will cost you less life.)

If the presented digits were 5709134682, you could win by clicking on 0, then 1, then 3, and finally 4 since those are four increasing digits appearing in that order within 5709134682. At that point, you will be presented with another puzzle. You can also win by choosing four digits in reverse order.

The visualization in the center makes it easier to find these patterns.

That this is always possible is a consequence of Dilworth's theorem.

P#97002 2021-09-07 15:13

Cart #pillogrim_1_0-0 | 2021-09-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Like the 99 bomb Spelunky Deathmatch I used to play, for 1 or 2 players.

This is my first real Pico-8 project (after a failed attempt at Pinball). I'm happy with how it's turned out. The AI isn't perfect, but can provide a really decent challenge. It may be improved in the future.

O is bomb, Down is pick up, O while holding is shoot, X is jump.

Changes

1.0 2021-09-11

• Added a number of new maps
  • Added title screen music
  • Added item Whip
  • Added terrain Ladder
  • Pick up by 'down' instead of 'down + O'
  • Fix bug launcher missile hits if player moving
  • Fixes to lazgun hit
  • AI fixes including detecting freefall, preventing throwing teddy away,

0.2 2021-09-09

• Added baseball bat
  • Fixed multiple times getting hit
  • AI will pick up item if running past
P#96996 2021-09-07 13:25 ( Edited 2021-09-11 05:49)
View Older Posts
Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 14:27:33 | 0.091s | Q:86