BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Hi I'm trying to make an online high score leaderboard for my game and i was just about to implement this solution: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=42526 for http requests to external servers when i found the scoresub() command according to this post: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=56856#p it was supposed to be implemented in version 0.2.0 upwards but the command doesn't seem todo anything nor can i find any documentation on it has this feature been delayed/cancelled or am i missing something here? Also I don't know if this is relevant but on the first usage of the command it says can not connect to scores host

P#95107 2021-07-20 23:00 ( Edited 2021-07-20 23:02)

Cart #cardoom-0 | 2021-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cardoom

Cardoom is my second attempt at making a game in PICO-8. I'd say it turned out a lot better than blaskjack

You control a knight who has nothing better to do than raid ancient tombs that house emperors of whatever kingdoms...FOR MONEY. Provided by the one and only SUPER EMPEROR of GLUG (your second earth). You keep earning money and buying cool fruits and pointy things until the time comes to Kill The Super Emperor himSelf. Should you defeat the SUPER EMPEROR...you will find that dead people cannot give you money. (once i find a good way to go about it defeating the SUPER EMPEROR OF GLUG will give you no money because SAD) So you walk back and beg on the streets for more money. JUST KIDDING, you kill ALL THE EMPERORS IN THE WORLD until you have to travel back to earth in the new world to kill kim jong un or whoever you feel like ruthlessly murdering with your sticks and apples.

Game flow is as follows: look through your WEAPONZ DECK™ of square cards and see what Cool Gear you have, then proceed to the shop to see whatever the merchant is selling. Clearly the merchant is terrified of you, so he provides discounts so his life can be spared. Once you obtain your GEAR you can FIGHT AN EMPEROR. Will you be lucky enough to draw the NICE SWORD card and deal 5 DAMAGE to your RUTHLESS OPPONENT? Perhaps. But you probably won't succeed.

Massive thanks to kreyk29 for making Untitled Card Roguelike, a massive inspiration for this game. And you MIGHT notice that I've gotten better at making music in trackers, HOPEFULLY THAT WILL STAY WITH ME, but we will have to wait and see.

This took me well over a day to create, and wow it was an experience. Halfway through development I found arrays in Lua start at one. ??? WHAT??? NO!!!!!THAT'S NOT OK!!!!!!!! While making this I probably encountered the most errors I've ever had in my entire life. I am so glad it is over.

Have fun!

P#95099 2021-07-20 22:09

Hi, I'm messing around with exporting binaries and stumbled upon this.

Exporting html works fine.
Running it as admin doesn't solve it.
Why could be the cause?

Thanks, have a good day.

P#95102 2021-07-20 21:46

Cart #snack_scoffer_ngc_1-0 | 2021-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Snacks and spikes are falling from the sky!

How to Play

You, Aspen, must run around dodging the falling spike balls and scoffing the delectable foodstuffs.

• Eat 5 snacks to clear a round. Try to grab 5 of the same grub in a row for a perfect bonus!

• Keep an eye out for the rare heart and star power-ups. Snag a star to gain temporary invincibility for the round or capture a heart for an extra life!

• Get hurt by the spike balls and you lose a life. Get hit enough times though, and your game is over!

Credits

Snack Scoffer was created solely by Niall Chandler in the Pico-8 game engine. I had a lot of fun making the game, learning many things about game development and programming in the process.
If you have any feedback about the game, then by all means give it. I'd love to hear it, and I'd love to thank you so much for playing my game.

If you would like to purchase a standalone executable of the game, you can do so here: https://bit.ly/3xS4b5S

P#95095 2021-07-20 15:17

Cart #tearing_test-0 | 2021-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is just a simple test cartridge I made so I can test for screen tearing. It draws vertical lines that scroll around every frame. If the lines are completely straight, there's no screen tearing. If the lines "break" at a certain point, there is screen tearing.

P#95092 2021-07-20 06:58

Cart #qents_quest_sok-0 | 2021-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You are Qent, elderly self-proclaimed warrior of glory and renown. Your morning routine has just been interrupted by the shouting of the Town Crier, who is calling for heroes to come to the aid of Kerth, a small nearby hamlet that has just come under attack. But unlike younger, more foolhardy would-be heroes, you know that a true hero does not rush into a situation before one is properly prepared and ready ...

==========

This is my first PICO-8 cart, and marks the start of my foray into making graphical games. All my previous games have been text-based, so it's been a joy to try something new!

P#95086 2021-07-20 04:18 ( Edited 2021-07-20 04:20)

Hello, i've playing with pico-8 for quite a long time and is great, i really like this piece of software

the issue: when i try to play two sounds at the same time using the sfx command, despite specifying different channels in the parameter, one sound cuts the other, for example:

sfx(0, 0, 0, 1) --plays only the first note from the first sfx page on channel 0
sfx(0, 1, 2, 1) --plays only the third note from the first sfx page on channel 1

the first sfx page:

(result: the sounds overlaps eachother, instead of mixing them despite being on different channels)

but if the second sound i'm trying to play comes from a different sfx page, the sounds mixes without any problem

sfx(0, 0, 0, 1) --plays only the first note from the first sfx page on channel 0
sfx(1, 1, 0, 1) --plays only the first note from the second sfx page on channel 1

the second sfx page:

(result: the two sounds are played at the same time, no overlap)

why is the channel parameter ignored in the first example? if is specified, it should play the note on the assigned channel and thus, mix the two sounds like in the second example, instead of overlaping them.

now, why i'm taking this approach? i'm trying to create a rhythm game, beatmania/djmax style, after sequencing the first two channels of a 2 minute song, is obvious that only one song with only one chart is going to be available to play.

instead, i'm trying to use the sfx pages as a keysound storage, and use tables to save the song info, and see if i can at least have 3 songs available with different charts and have a more precise bpm, since the game won't use much code/variables.

please let me know if this can be fixed or if it requires too much work, other approach i can use is with the peek/poke commands to patch the song in runtime and hijack the notes the user must press, this could work to add more charts but still would be only one song or have several songs with lots of repetitive note patterns.

Thanks in advance!

P#95083 2021-07-20 03:58 ( Edited 2021-07-21 04:38)

Cart #sdizojigo-0 | 2021-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Arrow keys to move "?"
"x" to choose position

Every win is 3 points
Every loss is -1 points

P#95057 2021-07-19 05:18 ( Edited 2021-07-19 05:20)

Cart #nutowefuku-0 | 2021-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#95056 2021-07-19 04:01

Hey!

I discovered PICO-8 about a month ago and am blown away with what everybody has created, so I got a RG351V device to play them better. I'm no tech wiz - I don't even know coding - so I had to teach myself a couple things in order to get the recommended firmware (351ELEC) running on the device.

I was having such a great time playing a few P8 games on my RG351V, and then I started up the game PICOWARE. I'd start the game's cutscene, and then after that...a command line popped up that essentially froze my system. So I had to hard restart. And then I tried playing the game again, but the command line came back up after the cutscene. Now PICO-8 won't boot up at all - not for Splore, and not for any cart file. Here are all the things I’ve tried in order to get PICO-8 working again:

• remove the PICO-8 files from my SD card, then put them back in again.

• delete any PICO-8 files that I didn’t initially add; files that the system had to create.

• re-flash 351ELEC on my smaller card and then re-install PICO-8 from there.

All of these things I have tried, yet I still get the red screen pictured below. I even took a screenshot of my mac with the failed bootup in text form. Again, I'm not a coder, which is why I'm bringing it here. Everything else about the system still works, thankfully, but I'd love to continue playing P8 games too! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

P#95055 2021-07-19 03:56 ( Edited 2021-07-19 04:01)

Cart #rollpanda-2 | 2022-08-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

"Roll Panda" is simple rolling action.
Use only two button, roll and jump.

Challenge this challenging adventure.

・control
〇/z : roll
×/x/↑ : jump
(You can customize key config at "config" in pause menu)

・tips
If panda close to slope, panda can climb wall.
If panda climb wall, panda can accelerate by roll button.
If panda climb up wall, panda make a transition from climber posture to jumper posture.

"Roll Panda"は転がるとジャンプの2つのボタンで進むアクションゲーム!

・操作
〇/z : 転がる
×/x/↑ : ジャンプ
(ポーズ画面の"config"からボタンをカスタマイズすることもできます。)

・仕様
坂へ転がると壁を駆け上がることができます。
壁を転がっている最中も転がるボタンを押すと加速できます。
壁を駆け上がって壁から離れるとジャンプ状態へ移行します。

P#95054 2021-07-19 03:25 ( Edited 2022-08-13 08:12)

My submission for the O2A2 VN Jam (Only One of Any Asset), a short visual novel about Lilith meeting the tentacle monster Medusa.
This is prequel to my previous game Medusa a short SHMUP about protecting Medusa as you escape.
Many thanks to dragonsbutalsorabbits for drawing the character sprite at very short notice before the jam deadline.

Cart #pcc_medusa_vn_o2a2-1 | 2021-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#95045 2021-07-18 23:03 ( Edited 2021-07-19 14:06)

Cart #spinstick-0 | 2021-07-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A chilling survival horror experience awaits you in this game about keeping a ball up by bouncing it with a stick that spins as you move it.

Press Left/Right to move the stick AND spin it.

How long can you delay the inevitable?

P#95044 2021-07-18 22:47

Cart #blaskjack-0 | 2021-07-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[0x0]

BLASKJACK

After some tinkering around with the engine and it's programming language, I've decided to make a legitimate game, and what better to do than make a remake of one of my favorite card games: blackjack (no i am not a gambling addict).

Of course this is my first real project, and no real guide was followed so it's bound to be messy here and there. I just advise you to not look at the code and report bugs if you find any.

This isn't as impressive as other people's first projects on here but it's certainly something I'm proud of.

Questions, comments, concerns, optimizations? Spit them at me. This is my first foray into any real "game engine" (that ive been truly invested into), so id be excited to hear some tips and tricks for the road ahead.

Have fun!!

P#95033 2021-07-18 18:30 ( Edited 2021-07-20 18:47)

Hello,

I want to put voxatron and some carts on my arcade cabinet which is not always online. Is there a commandline parameter to run a cartridge saved on my pc directly ? I can't seem to find any reference to this.

Thanks

P#95034 2021-07-18 18:30 ( Edited 2021-07-28 00:35)

Cart #stomp-6 | 2021-08-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

walk: left,right
stomp: down / X
jump: up / O

Stomp!

A turn-based-platformer-roguelike. The objective is to get a high score in 300 turns (10,000 is good).

Use your stomp to set rocks rolling, spikes falling, and bombs exploding.

Score Card

Wall: 10
Rock: 20
Wall, Drill: 50
Wall, Bomb: 80
Gem: 500
Worm: ???
Gold Worm: ???

You get half-points for anything you destroy with your amazing stomp - find other ways to destroy stuff.

Please post your best score if you choose to comment.

P#95024 2021-07-18 12:56 ( Edited 2021-08-19 17:36)

This is a suggestion, not a bug obviously.

The ability to toggle on a metronome tick/beep every 4 beats in the sfx editor would be quite helpful for composing tunes.

P#95021 2021-07-18 08:41

Cart #mission_impopsicle-1 | 2021-07-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A game made in one day for this game jam: https://itch.io/jam/vetelinos-summer-jam-july-2021

You are a ninja agent penguin on a unicycle and must stop ice cream terrorists from doing something horrific.

Arrow keys to move. Z & X to shoot.

P#95018 2021-07-18 07:34

Cart #carcrossing-1 | 2021-07-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a game about a guy who needs to cross the road to pee in a piss jar.

The main character is Tim,

And he needs to get his jar to pee and go to the hospital!

There is now 5 levels!

I'll maybe make an endless mode!

Added sounds!

V1.2

P#95014 2021-07-18 01:32 ( Edited 2021-07-18 16:58)

Hello all, again.
I'm trying to get my head around tables.
I thought it would be a good idea to store a table of the possible modes and enemy can be in, chase, pause, detect etc.
So the enemy could only be in one mode at a time without all the if statements.

I tried this:

function add_new_enemy(x,y,type)
    add(enemy,{
        mode={},
        add(mode,{1,2,3}),
        x=x,
        y=y.... etc.

Adding a table called 'mode' with values 1,2,3 (All in the name of experimentation.)

Similar to the last problem I asked about, I'm trying to just print the first value of 'mode'.
In the _draw I have this:

print(enemy[1].mode[1])

But that print NIL

What am I doing wrong? is my table all wrong are is my print statement wrong?

Many thanks
Peej

P#95007 2021-07-17 22:16
View Older Posts
Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 02:13:51 | 0.088s | Q:83