BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

I'm trying to create a game where there are multiple enemies on the screen at once, but I can't find an easy way to store the enemys' position other than to create a million variables. Is there any way to avoid this?

P#80106 2020-07-29 22:33 ( Edited 2020-07-29 23:17)

Cart #rocketjumpwaltz-2 | 2020-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

One of my favorite songs from the Team Fortress 2 OST.
Original by Mike Morasky

P#80099 2020-07-29 17:29 ( Edited 2020-07-29 17:37)

Hello everyone,

I am a first year Japanese university student exploring game design.
This is my first time making a game.
My teacher introduced us to MBoffin's tutorial:
https://mboffin.itch.io/pico-8-top-down-adventure-game-tutorial
This is my remix.

I would appreciate any constructive comments.

Thank you very much

[ここで日本語を追加しましょう]
赤い〇に入ったらクリア
動いてるやつに当たったら死にます

Cart #sanugezudu-0 | 2020-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#80098 2020-07-29 17:15

Thick line drawing routine (as a reply to @JadeLombax Twitter).

Cart #rabogemeri-0 | 2020-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Manual:

linefill x0 y0 x1 y1 r [col]
draw a 2*r pixel wide line
note: r must be >= 0.5 to produce meaningful results
note: the code uses sub-pixel precision rasterization, allowing smooth movement

Example:

-- 4 pixel wide white line
linefill(45,34,67,96,2,7)
P#80095 2020-07-29 16:32 ( Edited 2020-07-29 16:35)

I've tried to upload several times a new version for a cart but seems something breaks that cart in particular... everything runs fine locally (windows machine) but the uploade version gives a syntax error in an odd place (inside one px9 generated string)

I saved the cart a few times but results are the same... any idea on the reason and a potential fix?

cart is

Cart #deflektor-17 | 2020-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(and a few of the previous ones... 14+) In terms of changes against version 13 there's a few extra lines and some extra bin data in the map area. Not htting any of the limits (compressed at 98%,7253 tokens, 48153 chars)

P#80075 2020-07-29 07:26

I started getting a weird error with my recent upload to the BBS, which seems to be related to the version bump in the html player from 0.2.1b to 0.2.1c dev - it throws a syntax error about an incomplete string that is indeed complete in the code :/

Cart #startrax_02-6 | 2020-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#80073 2020-07-29 07:00

Hello everyone! Today is the day! Blackhole.io developer version! Here's the cart:

Cart #bhiodev-0 | 2020-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Enjoy!

How to play and how to use the cheats here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=38961

P#80066 2020-07-29 06:27 ( Edited 2020-07-31 17:19)

Cart #suditotaki-0 | 2020-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Remake of Thrust, an old C64 game (although I first came across it on the school BBC Micros). The first game I ever saw that had anything approaching "proper" physics, I owe it a lot.

Z shoots
X fuel scoop/tractor beam/shield (burns fuel)
Up to thrust, L/R to rotate

-Grab the pod using your tractor beam when you're close enough and escape the level
-Active your fuel scoop (X) when near fuel to pick it up
-X also activates a shield, but it burns up fuel
-Shoot the reactor (but not too much...) to temporarily disable the turrets
-Or just shoot the turrets
-Later level have switches. Shoot them, too
-Extra life every 10000 points
-Extra bonus points if you escape with the pod and destroy the planet...
-Features possibly the worst version of Rob Hubbard's music ever "composed"

Bugs/glitches/whatever

Don't play around with the level wraparound too much, especially after you've grabbed the pod
SCORE: 00. Gosh, I wonder what's going on under the hood there
Only 6 levels. The original stared playing around with reverse gravity and invisible levels after that
You can't shoot fuel (or your own pod...) unlike the original

Devs might find my Byte-pair compression for the endgame screen (tab 3, "DRAWEND") of interest.

P#80058 2020-07-28 22:22 ( Edited 2020-10-01 15:51)

Just a quick little demo room to test out physics for my new favorite astronaut, Willie. I'll upload and update here as the game comes along. Currently "x" starts and "z" turns on debug mode. Arrow keys to move and jump.

Cart #smallbackpackbeta0-1 | 2020-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#80043 2020-07-28 18:41

I'm having problems with the del function; its behavior doesn't seem to match what the documentation says it should do. From the docs: (pico-8.txt)

del  t [v]

Delete the first instance of value v in table t
    [...]
    When v is not given, the last element in the table is removed.
    del returns the deleted item, or returns no value when nothing was deleted.

So, calling del(arr) should be equivalent to calling deli(arr,#arr), right? Both should pop the last element off of arr as far as I understand. But when you run the cartridge attached to this post, the O button works but the X button doesn't

P#80038 2020-07-28 17:35

Cart #bingocallsheetv1-0 | 2020-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Slapdash call sheet for a Zoom game of Bingo my mom's going to host with her coworkers from Liberty Mutual--hence the logo in the corner. I have some ideas for how to make it prettier:

• randomization animation where it clicks through options before slowing down and settling on one
  • menu / game over screen
  • big blinking button to randomize--more tactile
P#80015 2020-07-28 03:21

Whenever I try importing a .p8 file into an object, Voxatron just instantly crashes with no error. I saw someone else post about this on the BBS to no helpful response :(

Hoping this gets fixed or hoping there's a known workaround

P#80013 2020-07-28 03:08

Cart #thebindingofpicosprites-1 | 2020-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #thebindingofpicosprites-0 | 2020-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#79994 2020-07-27 14:52 ( Edited 2020-07-28 13:56)

Hey @zep,

I notice you can use the double-width katakana glyphs as identifiers, but I don't think you added the new printable single-width characters below chr(32) to the "legal chars" set for identifiers.

So I could use ta/た in a variable name, but because I need the single-width dakuten at chr(30) to make da/だ, I couldn't write a variable named, e.g., だくてん.

I figure if it's not a placeholder glyph (like the first 10 or so) and not reserved for Lua, it ought to be legal for identifiers, based on how every other glyph has been. Am I right?

I'm asking specifically because I'd like to use one particular character in place of 'self' in my code, to keep my code concise on the tiny PICO-8 screen, but I can't currently use it because it's not legal.

P#79992 2020-07-27 12:40 ( Edited 2020-07-27 12:41)

Cart #nikgid_archon_c01-0 | 2020-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hey folks,

I am just publishing one of my little projects (less than half-finished) to try out the uploading-mechanism here on the bbs.
Please be gentle with feedback :-)

It's a WIP of a demake of Archon ... a fond childhood memory of mine.

Cheers
nikgid

P#79991 2020-07-27 12:36

Cart #thohjim-0 | 2020-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Thanks for watching
I'm a college student in Japan.

I made my first game with PICO-8!

But there's only the main game, not the title screen or anything...
Still, I think did well(IMO).
Of course I didn't make it by only myself, but with the help of various people and blogs on the internet.

This game is a rhythmgame,likes beatmania.
Music is "20,November"( I've never even play by ear. this is the first music in my experience!)

HOW TO PLAY

• lane1 = ←
  • lane2 = ↓
  • lane3 = ↑
  • lane4 = → 
  • RESET(when music end) = X

I suggest you do a KEYCONFIG.

P#79990 2020-07-27 12:22

Squid Defense

Cart #squiddefence-4 | 2022-06-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Summary

Hi, This is my game Squid Defense that (originally for V1.) I spent a little over 8 days working on!
I spent forever trying to make sure it was perfect, but it has some bugs and annoying things to it but I hope it's still fun still. : )

(Might update this later, IDK.)

Goal

Try to defend the Beachball by shooting various sea creatures with ink! (ink has limited use with quick recharge.)
your ball has 4hp and it heals by 1hp at the end of a wave.

Also watch out for the ever changing tide, it might make you rethink how you need to play!

The # of stars after a map's name show the difficulty of that map, every map has 20 waves see if you can beat them!

(Feel free to share your scores and let me know! : P)

Have fun!

Thanks for checking this out and have fun!

Details

Controls

• left,right / move

• X jump

• Z shoot ink

• menuitems (resetsavedata, endgame)

Images

Cast

• [The following list may have spoilers! you have been warned!]

• Squidy
    Hey it's a cute squid that has massive destructive capabilities,
    Nothing bad about that! ~bloop~

• Starfish
    These may seem like tiny octopuses BUT DON'T BE FOOLED!
    they are tiny starfish and they will attempt to ruin your day!

• Urchin
    Prickly fellows that will pop your balloon if you don't watch out!
    (They also hurt to step on, don't do it)

• Fish
    They may just be flopping around now but they will swim; and surf like crazy if they get in water!

• Bird
    SHHHhhoooowwwwshshshshHshh!! uhmm.. anyways watch out for them they won't even go after the ball they will just chase you down!

• Jellyfish
    Watch out! they might be one of the fastest foes due to their insane jumping ability,
    didn't know that jelly tentacles were that strong!

• Crab
    Ummm your on your own here.. They are the most formidable creature known in all of the sea!
    Just uhh run?

Version log

V1

• uploaded to BBS.

V1.1

• New Features

• settings carry over through reset
  • added old vers to bbs thread

• Bug/Nonbug fixes and code changes (Note: there might be some things I miss.)

• Removed the "hard" mobs spawns that didn't work (crabs had special spawn points.) (removed that spawn flag stuff)
  • Redid some resetgame stuff (got rid of resetfade(). )
  • Fixed map geometry making enemies in the bottom left of Cavern ★★ get stuck forever.
  • removed transparent gray pal swap for space
  • changed settings stuff for the fix for settings
  • combined ink effects for certain mobs into one func for space
  • mob's deathtimer var changed to be nil till dead to save space
  • canged the msg for ending a game with the menuitem when Freeplay is set to true to be the same as not. (It was a bit rude to say "quit freeplay" vs "quit game".)
  • changed a lot of code about getsavedata() in general
  • game checks for initalbootup when you don't have savedata yet, and then sets dotunes=true, dosfx=true, col1=0, and col2=7 by default
  • changed "made in 8 days" text

V1.2

• fixed crash when you play with a fresh save
  • cleaned up a few tokens with split

Old game versions

Here you can play old versions of the game if you want. : p

V1

Cart #squiddefence-1 | 2020-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

V1.1

Cart #squiddefence-2 | 2020-08-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#79984 2020-07-27 10:43 ( Edited 2022-06-14 00:24)

Cart #zoweraroro-0 | 2020-07-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

press z to generate

P#79972 2020-07-27 01:30

Greetings all!

I recently discovered Pico-8 and have been having a good ol' time messing around with it.

I wanted to make a suggestion in the hope someone finds it interesting enough to pick up. (I don't know if something like this already exists, in which case kindly point it out to me!)

Anyway, my idea is to have a website where pico-8 fans - especially those with artistic ability and generosity of spirit (both of which are found in abundance in this community btw!) - can post sprites. Users could browse all available sprites, clicking the ones they would like to use, and finally click on a download button which would produce an empty p8 cartridge containing those sprites that they selected.

Users wishing to upload sprites could upload cartridges from which the sprites could be extracted, or there could be an online pixel art editor thingy, like Pico-8's own, if they wanted to draw the sprite right there.

The sprites could be categorised by genre/uploader/tags etc.

P#79971 2020-07-26 23:47 ( Edited 2020-07-26 23:59)

Cart #gunkalpha5-1 | 2020-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Howdy, this is my kinda shitty first attempt at making a game. It took me three days to learn enough about Lua and Pico-8 to get to this point, and there's still a lot of stuff I want to add to it, but it's finally to the point where I'm comfortable showing it to people.

Arrow keys to move, x to dash.

Known Issues

-Enemies can overlap, becoming one super enemy (this does not make them any more dangerous)
-Sometimes when the flower respawns, it respawns in the same location it was in, giving the player double points and potentially spawning double enemies.

Feedback is welcome, specifically about the code, as it's my first project. The game isn't super fun yet, I'm working on that.

Update 7.27.2020:

Enemies no longer overlap, but they do walk in lockstep. Added a global score counter and a sound effect if you try to dash without a charge.

Update 7.29.2020:

Slightly updated flower sprite, massively cleaned code, enemies are now asynchronous and score now updates in increments of 10

P#79969 2020-07-26 23:37 ( Edited 2020-07-29 23:23)
View Older Posts
Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-20 12:55:30 | 0.161s | Q:96