BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #ladderlad-1 | 2020-03-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You are Ladder Lad!

Traverse the ever-moving maze of runged objects and meet your fruit quota.

Arrow Keys - Move Ladder Lad

X Key - Pop bubble if you are caught in one.

Hot Tip: You can jump to the other side of the screen by going all the way to the left or right.

P#74087 2020-03-20 23:07 ( Edited 2020-03-21 14:24)

Cart #regolith_v024-0 | 2020-09-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

New version as of 9/12/2020 : Updated graphics, sound and movement controls.

Controls

Arrow keys move.
(x) to restart.

About

An asteroid mining roguelike.

You mine pink and yellow minerals for coins.
You mine blue water that is used as fuel for steam power.
You mine brown regolith for shielding against solar wind.

Moving to an asteroid starts the mining process.

The shield and fuel costs are designated as brown or blue numbers in the center map. When you cross the numbers, your shields and fuel are decreased that amount.

High brown numbers indicate intense solar wind. High blue numbers indicate distant asteroids.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Prior version v023:

Cart #rsv2_3-0 | 2020-03-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is an update to the version posted here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=35489

@freds72 , @dw817 , @aquova : thanks for the feedback on the original. This version is attempting to make the game mechanics more obvious.

P#74080 2020-03-20 14:05 ( Edited 2020-09-12 23:22)

Hi,

I'm iterating over all map cells multiple times, to do various actions:

for t_x = 0, 127 do
    for t_y = 0, 63 do
        -- scan tiles
    end
end

for t_x = 0, 127 do
    for t_y = 0, 63 do
        -- do something
    end
end

for t_x = 0, 127 do
    for t_y = 0, 63 do
        -- place tiles
    end
end

This works, but uses a lot of tokens (do something is actually 4-5 different actions).

As there are a lot of interdependencies between cells, I can not do this:

for t_x = 0, 127 do
    for t_y = 0, 63 do
        -- scan tiles
        -- do something
        -- place tiles
    end
end

Instead, I wanted to do this:

functions = {
    scan_tiles(t_x, t_y),
    do_something(t_x, t_y),
    place_tiles(t_x, t_y),
}

for f in all (functions) do
    for t_x = 0, 127 do
        for t_y = 0, 63 do
            f(t_x, t_y)
        end
    end
end

But I never get the arguments passed to the functions I call.

How to go about this?

All help very much appreciated!

P#74068 2020-03-20 06:57

Cart #dokepyzi-0 | 2020-03-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#74064 2020-03-20 00:41

I'm having an issue where it seems like I absolutely cannot pass an argument to a function, no matter what I do.

For starters, I am using doc_robs' famous hitbox function:

function player_hit(x1,y1,w1,h1,
                      x2,y2,w2,h2)
   local hit=false
   local xs=w1/2+w2/2
   local ys=h1/2+h2/2
   local xd=abs((x1+(w1/2))-(x2+(w2/2)))
   local yd=abs((y1+(h1/2))-(y2+(h2/2)))
   if xd<xs and yd<ys then
    hit=true
   end
   return hit
  end

So far, so good, right? Then I pass the following arguments along to it from another function:

if player_hit(p1.x,p1.y,pw,ph,star1.x,star1.y,sw,sh) then
  --stuff happens in here
  end

All of the values in the preceding if statement are defined at _init(). The values pw, ph, sw, and sh are all 2, defined as global variables. The p1 and star1 values come from tables.

But every time I run my program, this error occurs:

RUNTIME ERROR
   local xs=w1/2+w2/2
Attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'w1' (a nil value)

Now, I can't find the reason why w1 registers as nil. The value pw (2) should be subbed in for it, since it's being provided in the function call.

Strangely, the same error occurs even if I manually type "2" in place of pw in the player_hit() call.

P#74058 2020-03-19 23:20

Cart #miscom-1 | 2020-03-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A kind of Missile Command.

P#74051 2020-03-19 19:49

If you grew up with the NES, you remember that their basslines had a certain "snappiness" to them (for lack of a better word). Here are two of my favorite examples:

DAT BASS!

Anyway, I've been trying to mimic that type of bass as closely as I can in my PICO-8 carts, but I haven't quite hit the mark yet.

Does anyone have instrument/effect suggestions for achieving this kind of sound?

P#73870 2020-03-19 18:22

You're gathering some cherry blossoms to make tea when oh no — the wind is blowing all the petals away! Use your fan to help guide as many petals as you can into your basket within 60 seconds.

Flower March is a short relaxing experience made for the Harvest Mouse Jam. It's our first PICO-8 game and was a lot of fun to make!

Programming by lambdaloop. Art and music by kcaze.

Music is "Rondo Alla Turca" by Mozart.

Cart #flowermarch2020-0 | 2020-03-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#74041 2020-03-19 04:06 ( Edited 2020-03-19 04:08)

Cart #shifttrap-0 | 2020-03-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

After a freak laboratory accident, ninja-in-training Nina finds herself trapped in an alternate dimension where the walls shift each time she jumps. Now she must collect the scattered gears to fix this shattered world and escape! But with 32 challenging stages to outwit, that will be no easy task...

hey all!! sol here. it's been a while since my last game, but I haven't been resting on my laurels. this time around, I've made a puzzle-platformer with a focus on fast gameplay and a novel mechanic-- each time you press the jump button, the walls will shift between the foreground and background! you can also cling to walls and jump off of them to reach greater heights. I've built a lot of really tricky puzzles around this, so I hope y'all enjoy!

I would also like to give a special shoutout to my testers, whom I owe a debt of gratitude for playing the earlier, more frustrating builds of this game. It's thanks to them that I can present this polished final version to you!

and of course, feel free to reach out to me either on these forums or on twitter if you have any questions or comments!

have fun and good luck!

P#74037 2020-03-18 19:33

I think it's too late to suggest this, since you appear to have completely filled the printable characters with the kana glyphs, but just in case there's something to spare somewhere:

I just used one of the unicode thumb glyphs (👎,👍) and realized it'd be handy to have such glyphs in the PICO-8 character set.

I drew up some possible 7x5 PICO-8 glyphs for them:

You could type them with -/+ in glyph mode.

Even if they can't be fit into PICO-8 itself, the thumb-up might be good for the BBS, because I think a lot of people don't realize that's what the ★ glyph on BBS posts is for, given how seldom it seems to be used.

(I guess it's not a big deal if this isn't possible, though, since we can obviously just draw them manually.)

P#74023 2020-03-18 01:48 ( Edited 2020-03-18 02:49)

This is probably a ludicrously simple thing that I never learned, so please forgive me in advance.

I'm trying to write a function that checks whether a thing (star1) moving in a circle intersects with any of four lines (four_p_lineX) that connect to the circle. The best way I can think to do this is to make the function check whether the X and Y coordinates of star1 match the X and Y coordinates of any of the line endpoints.

The thing is, PICO-8 doesn't like what I've written:

function check_direction()
  local s1switch=flr(rnd(1))   --You wonderful forum people can ignore this part.
  if (star1.x,star1.y)==(four_p_line1.x1,four_p_line1.y1) or
                        (four_p_line1.x2,four_p_line1.y2) or
                        (four_p_line2.x1,four_p_line2.y1) or
                        (four_p_line2.x2,four_p_line2.y2) or
                        (four_p_line3.x1,four_p_line3.y1) or
                        (four_p_line3.x2,four_p_line3.y2) or
                        (four_p_line4.x1,four_p_line4.y1) or
                        (four_p_line4.x2,four_p_line4.y2) then
   if s1switch==1 then         --Ignore this, too.
    star1.line=not(star1.line)
   end
  end
 end

The above code produces the following syntax error:

SYNTAX ERROR LINE 187 (TAB 2)
 if (star1.x,star1.y)==(four_p_line1.x1,four_p_line1.y1) or
')' expected near ','

I can't really figure out what the error is telling me. Is it as simple as me forgetting some punctuation, or can I not make the comparison I'm trying to make?

P#74024 2020-03-18 01:11

This bug has not been fixed since july 2017: https://lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=29699

Maybe it's on AZERTY keyboards only, but it makes the SFX editor painful. Here's what this layout looks like: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/AZERTY#/media/Fichier:KB_France.svg
The keyboard we frenchies use. Sorry. We love our diacritics.

• the "6" key used for upper G# also decreases current pattern.
  • the "," key (right to "N") used for lower B also decreases tempo.
    Those are really annoying. There's also this which are a bit annoying but I can do with:
  • numpad "+" moves to 4 patterns forward while the "-" above moves only 1 backward.
  • "=" (left to Backspace) moves 1 pattern forward while underscore ("8" main key) moves 4 backward.
P#74021 2020-03-17 22:37 ( Edited 2022-04-20 06:48)

Cart #zuhihenit-0 | 2020-03-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Alt+Up/Down keys allow quick functions browsing in code editor, but oddly this is broken on the 3rd tab of my 5 tabs project, where alt+up/down won't go below the 2nd function (all other tabs are fine). Have no idea why, I even got rid of all my code & data to see whether this comes from that. This is the cart joined here: no data, only function names & some comments, but in tab 3 alt+down won't go under the parts_add function.

P#74019 2020-03-17 22:12

I've assembled the new Picade with a Raspberry Pi 4 inside. It boots on the NOOBS SD card, being myself rather a noob once outside of Windows :). Besides the recommended upgrades & updates, I've installed nothing else than the latest Pico-8 for Raspbian, as I want my Picade to be a Pico-8 machine first.

I launch Pico-8 with the command line and use splore to browse favourite games. Everything is fine until I relaunch games either by ctrl+R or the "run" command. And then it's the russian roulette: either the cart restarts, either it simply shut downs the whole Picade. Sometimes it happens after the 20th rerun or more, but this bug is so reliable I use it to turn off the machine instead of using the "shutdown" shell command.

P#74018 2020-03-17 21:43

Cart #zutamopuf-0 | 2020-03-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is what you have all needed in your life to combat the lows, and be with you in the highs. Maybe you didn't know you needed it, but here, have a Corgi! :D

P#74007 2020-03-17 11:26

Cart #happymrschicken-0 | 2020-03-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

hey guys this is my first game on pico 8
do check it out :)
thanks

Have added timer and welcome page.

P#74003 2020-03-17 09:39 ( Edited 2020-06-28 12:22)

@zep

Bug #1:

The built-in tuple "..." seems to confuse the syntax highlighter. Notice "END" isn't pink:

Not a big deal, but I figured you'd want to know.

Bug? #2:

Maybe a bug, maybe not. I just noticed that Ctrl+H goes to the start of the document (as with Ctrl+Home). On the other hand Ctrl+E goes to the end of the current line (as with plain End). Is this difference in behavior intentional? If so, no big deal. I just wanted to be sure it was intended vs. accidentally calling the wrong internal "home" or "end" function for one of them.

EDIT: Just as I posted this, I noticed that it's ^W/^E for line home/end, so I guess this probably isn't a bug. Disregard #2.

P#73996 2020-03-16 22:11 ( Edited 2020-03-16 22:14)

Cart #helleste-0 | 2020-03-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

well uhm here ya go this is helleste
its a mod of celeste
its fun
its really not that hard
idk if gemskip is even possible
yeah have fun

P#73990 2020-03-16 20:30

This is a Game of Life implemented by Pico-8.

• Press X to change a cell to live or dead
  • Press C to start evoluation.

The evlove follows four rules listed below:

1. Any live cell with fewer than two live neighbours dies, as if by underpopulation.
  2. Any live cell with two or three live neighbours lives on to the next generation.
  3. Any live cell with more than three live neighbours dies, as if by overpopulation.
  4. Any dead cell with exactly three live neighbours becomes a live cell, as if by reproduction.

Some specific pattern will cause something interesting.For example:

This pattern will keep moving and can always keep the original form.

You can see more detils for game of life in LifeWiki

Let's give it a try.

Cart #moworuzko-0 | 2020-03-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

If you are interested about the game or "cellular automaton", you can see my another project cellular automaton

Thanks for your attention!

P#73979 2020-03-16 11:09 ( Edited 2020-03-16 11:13)

This is a Cellular Automaton implemented by Pico-8.

Each cell has 3 states, empty, blue or red, is encoded as 0,1,2.
Everything with three states can be simply simulated by this simulator.

You can think of it as the three states of a tree, dead, normal, or burning.
Of course,it can also be interpreted as human death, healthy or illness.

The probability of each cell state transition is related to the state of surrounding cells. The more surrounding red cells, the higher the probability that the cells will turn red. The more blue cells around you, the higher the chance that the cell will turn blue.

press x to change a cell from state 1 to 2, or press z to change a cell from state 2 to 1.

The state transition probabilities are written in the function _init(), Where p01 represents the probability of transition from state 0 to state 1.
You can try to modify it and observe the evolution results.

Each time _update () is executed, it will perform state transition on each cell according to the transition probability.
Since _update() runs thirty times per second, so the state transition probability per second is approximately equal to 30*p.

This is my first pico-8 project, thank you for your attention.

Cart #celluar_automata-4 | 2020-03-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#73968 2020-03-16 02:52 ( Edited 2020-03-18 02:32)
View Older Posts
Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 12:52:16 | 0.102s | Q:81