Follow
grandtraindelta

Forbidden gaming experiments that crossed dark voids between antiquity and the neoteric. The journey transposed their souls making them fit for mortal consumption

SHOW MORE

Cart #30800 | 2016-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #30457 | 2016-10-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

The Burning Rose Demake
GBJam Edition

Credits:
Artwork, sfx, code courtesy of Grandtraindelta, @grandtraindelta
Most excellent music courtesy of Gnarcade, @Gnarcade_VGM
@krajzeg for the pico8 controller script

Hi all, yes this is demake of an existing game I've made for gbjam, but i've used all the tokens i could find to add more content and a boss! Now with secondary phase bullet patterns

V 1.2 Changes
-Fixed gameover music bug
-Modified awakening link and dreamland palettes
-Added phase 2 pattern to boss

V 1.1 Changes
-Fixed crash with autobomb on hit with missiles
-Fixed bug, running out of missiles while entering boss phase would lock shooting
-Modified diagonal movement to respect proper distance vector over one frame. (movement was too fast)

WHY A BIPLANE SHMUP?

Born from a love of Ghibli, animation, 8bits, blue sky gaming, Sega score chasing and the Nintendo Gameboy. The burning rose has been remade for gbjam with added features.

The burning rose is a action shmup game of tense combo chaining and score driven gameplay. Coupled with end game resource management and survival. The session time is low, requiring little time investment for the player. I have implmented a quick open ended scoring system for longevity, with the emphasis on maximization. One hit kills and quick restart make it ideal for one more go arcade style play.

TELL ME MORE...

-Consistant UI
-Local Highscore table
-Autobomb mode, allows beginners to get to grips with the combo system and difficulty at a 10% cost reduction in score
-Now type blanks in highscore entry

WHATS CHANGED SINCE LAST TIME?

-Reworked sprites to work with 4 colours
-Spritesheet recoloured to allow for Palette swaps in code.
-Gameboy and Nintendo influenced colour palettes.
-Reduced token count to add extra features and optimised code
-Added music tweaks and sfx
-Xbox and xinput Gamepad functionality in browser (chrome and firefox)
-Secret boss battle, for the highscore chasers...

HOW DO I PLAY THIS?

Pilot the Burning Rose through a finite barrage of 500 missiles using only 500 of your own shots to cut a path. Each missile is worth one point. Destroying two missiles without a single missile leaving the screen starts a combo. Keep the chain going and your final score will be multiplied by your highest chain of your run. Push your chaining ability to the limit to make your way onto the local top pilot ranking!

In one run you're given 3 bombs. Use them defensively to get out of a tight situation and avoid death. Or use them aggressively to maintain a chain and link stray missiles.

WHAT ARE THE KEYBOARD CONTROLS?

Menus:
Z - Accept/select
X - Back
Up and down - Navigation
Left - Select colour palette
Right - Auto bomb toggle

In Gameplay:
Z - Hold to fire
X - Smart bomb
Arrows - Movement

P#30458 2016-10-09 16:19 ( Edited 2016-10-09 20:19)

SHOW MORE

Cart #28420 | 2016-09-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

The Burning Rose v1.3
Artwork, sfx, code courtesy of Grandtraindelta, @grandtraindelta
Most excellent music courtesy of Gnarcade, @Gnarcade_VGM

V 1.3 Changes
-Added more highscore UI
-Added extra name entry characters and a space option when you select *

V 1.2 Changes
-Added Autobomb mode. Press left/right at the title screen. Bombs detonate when player is hit, allowing you to get further although your score is reduced by 10% before the combo multiplies it.
-Allow player to move during the intro animation as the jets are cooling down.

V 1.1 Changes
-Fixed scoring bug that didn't allow you to enter the high score entry.

OVERVIEW:

Born from a love of Ghibli, animation, 8bits, blue sky gaming, Sega score chasing and flying on a breeze. This is a sketch of an idea and an adventure into pico8 development for a first time pico8 and Lua newbie in order to get to grips with the platform. I have tried to design something that suits the limitations and complements Pico8.

The burning rose is a action shmup game of tense combo chaining and score driven gameplay. Coupled with end game resource management and survival. The session time is low, requiring little time investment for the player. I have designed a quick open ended scoring system for longevity, with the emphasis on maximization. One hit kills and quick restart make it ideal for one more go arcade style play.

GAMEPLAY:

Pilot the Burning Rose through a finite barrage of 500 missiles using only 500 of your own shots to cut a path. Each missile is worth one point. Destroying two missiles without a single missile leaving the screen starts a combo. Keep the chain going and your final score will be multiplied by your highest chain of your run. Push your chaining ability to the limit to make your way onto the local top pilot ranking!

In one run you're given 3 bombs. Use them defensively to get out of a tight situation and avoid death. Or use them aggressively to maintain a chain and link stray missiles.

CONTROLS :

Menus:
Z - Accept/select
X - Back
Arrows - navigate up and down

In Gameplay:
Z - Hold to fire
X - Smart bomb
Arrows - Movement

P#28261 2016-09-10 08:59 ( Edited 2016-09-10 12:59)

SHOW MORE

Hi all,

I'm at the very end stages of releasing my first experiment with pico8 - the game is playable end to end with a few minor tweaks required. All that is needed is music! I require a single track, and maybe a gameover ditty to finish off in order to be polished for release. If your a fan of contra, gunstar heroes, shmups, ghibli, steampunk being a hero against all odds and can deliver music... then great! maybe we can work together. If anyone knows of any musicians who might fit the bill and be interested, please kindly get in touch.

Many thanks

P#27038 2016-08-17 18:07 ( Edited 2016-08-24 21:22)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 02:39:06 | 0.159s | Q:18