Follow
Rudlin

I make games, and I play them. Oh, and corn-cobs.

[ :: Read More :: ]

Hey everyone, I've modified gif_len in config.txt, but Pico-8 always records 4 second gifs no matter what. Help!

P#25368 2016-07-15 19:14 ( Edited 2016-07-18 11:40)

Hey everyone, I've modified gif_len in config.txt, but Pico-8 always records 4 second gifs no matter what. Help!

P#25367 2016-07-15 19:14 ( Edited 2016-07-15 23:14)

This game is actually complete, I just don't feel like it deserves to be considered a proper "cartridge".

It's barebones space invaders, with bunnies.

Have fun, I guess.

Cart #25286 | 2016-07-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#25287 2016-07-14 01:23 ( Edited 2016-07-14 13:39)

Just need to put this somewhere, since this always causes a problem when I'm making a game.

To create a table of interactive (that is, something the player can interact with) enemies in my space invaders clone, here's what I do:

1st: In the _init function, create a table, and add the appropriate enemy sprites to it (I iterate over each sprite use 2 "for" loops, one for the in-game y-coord, the other for the in-game x-coord, in that order). Set every sprite's table value to "true".

2nd: In the _update function, create a hitbox in the form of an if statement (if player's projectile hits enemy's boundary). To account for every enemy, use the same "for" loops as described above, in the same order, and add the appropriate values to the x and y coords of the enemy in-game. In the body of the if statement, state that the missile did indeed impact an enemy (done in the form of a boolean value).

3rd: Again in the _update function, check for the boolean value stated above. If true, then set the appropriate enemy sprite's table value to "false", as well as reset the boolean value, and despawn the missile, again with the appropriate boolean.

4th: Adjust above steps as needed for current project.

Will update if needed.

P#25270 2016-07-13 20:11 ( Edited 2016-07-15 00:28)

I'm looking at all these games and demoscene-type creations on the board, and I'm feeling really demotivated, because all these things are better than anything I could ever hope to achieve, even the demoscene stuff. Does anyone else feel like this?

EDIT: Thanks everyone who responded so far, this has been very uplifting. Once again, good luck out there.

P#25252 2016-07-13 18:12 ( Edited 2016-07-16 07:22)

I can't do it.

I can't build the game I want to with my current level of skill. The Most Amazing RPG On The Pico-8(TM) has to be put on hold until I am skilled enough to come back to it. For now, I'll stick to smaller projects, in an attempt to build up my skill. My apologies, and good luck.

P#25250 2016-07-13 16:51 ( Edited 2016-07-15 17:17)

So, I just found out while making my space invaders clone that the way I do waiting in Hackers (the rpg) could be extremely simplified, and will require mass redesign if I want to improve token count. Shit.

P#25200 2016-07-12 16:42 ( Edited 2017-05-24 08:26)

Writing this after seeing Alone in Pico feels like being the band that plays right after the Beatles. It is friggin amazing. Here's the game: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3792 and here's my reaction right after playing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXN1yxax448

Yeah, it's good. So, what am I up to then?

Well, the Most Amazing RPG On The Pico-8(TM) is going good. currently working on the overworld (what I'm currently dubbing "Cyberspace"). This world is where a good portion of the game will take place. It's a little camera-shy at the moment, though, so I think I'll show it off when it looks a bit more presentable. Recently, and unfortunately however, I've gotten into a bit of a funk in regards to the game. So, in the mean time, I've started a space invaders clone, just to see how quickly I can do it. Groundbreaking stuff, eh? :P

Anyways, that's about all that's up with me in regards to the Pico-8, so I guess this is where the post ends. more will (hopefully) follow in the near future. Live long and prosper.

-Rudlin, 2016

P#25135 2016-07-12 01:44 ( Edited 2016-07-12 05:44)

So, I boot into Pico-8 fullscreen, do stuff, and type "shutdown". However, instead of shutting down Pico-8 and returning me to Raspbian Jessie (latest version), it just freezes up. Anyone else experiencing this?

P#24565 2016-07-04 16:35 ( Edited 2016-07-04 20:51)

NEW!!! BRAND NEW GAME FROM MYTHRIL STUDIOS!

Hi. My name is Rudlin. I'm the CEO/Lead Executive/Head Writer/Head Designer... of Mythril Studios. You get the point. I'm working alone.

About a week and a half ago, I released a prototype for a new game I was working on, set aboard a spaceship. It was to be a survival game, with waves of enemies coming at you from all directions. And the prototype, to me at least, was quite fun, and showed a lot of potential.

However, as I was browsing the Pico-8 BBS, I began to notice a trend. All the programs currently being released for this system are either short, "arcadey" games, or they are little experimental demoscene-type stuff. And while that's all well and good, the truth of the matter is I want a game that really shows off the Pico-8. Something that really pushes the system above and beyond what anyone thinks is possible. And, since at the time I didn't see anyone else doing anything like that, I decided I would be the one to do it.

Now, I am by no means a very skilled, or very experienced game developer. Sure, I've made a few short games, and most of them on other platforms, but I do have one thing going for me: history.

I am huge on studying video game history.

I have played the games of the past, I have studied everything about them, their sound, their graphics, their gameplay. I understand what makes these games tick, and can apply that to this project.

And what is the project, you may ask?

Hackers

An RPG that will set the gold standard for all future Pico-8 games.

THE STORY:
You are Jamie Witherspoon, son of David Witherspoon, a 3rd-generation shoe-salesman. You spend your days helping your father out at his shop, The Royal Court Shoestrings. However, you are not interested in shoes, but in computers. You and your friends are a group of hackers who call themselves Hackers Elite. You can get into any database, swipe any information available on-line, and fight the vile monsters of this digital realm known as "viruses", all while on your high-tech IBN PCs. One day, while browsing your favorite hacker BBSes, you come across a group of hackers who call themselves "H.A.C.K.S.", or the Hyper-Advanced Couriers of Killer Software. Soon after, you learn that this group is really a government organization, set up to stop hacker groups like Hackers Elite. Will you and your pals be able to stop them, or will hacker-culture forever be wiped off the face of forums worldwide?

Featuring:
-Open World Exploration
-A nonlinear story with multiple(!) endings
-Dynamic progress saving (Save whenever you like, come back whenever you want!)
-Multi-Cart Threading (TM)
-A wide variety of enemies to fight
-A price tag of exactly $0.00
-And much, much more

COMING: By the end of summer.

So, sound interesting? Well then, why don't you go ahead and try out the prototype below?

See you in cyberspace.

Cart #24030 | 2016-07-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#24039 2016-06-30 21:11 ( Edited 2016-07-03 11:54)

Wizardish - A First-Person Grid-Based Dungeon Crawler! (or Wizardish for those who like to be brief), created by Eduardolicious, is exactly what it says on the tin: a dungeon crawler, in first-person, that is grid-based.

But wait a second, what's this? First Person!?! On the Pico-8??? AWESOME!

Yes, Wizardish, in the vein of early RPGs like Ultima and, well, Wizardry, is a first-person dungeon crawling game where you down potions to regain health and fight monsters straight out of a tabletop RPG. Sounds great, right? Well, let's dive in and find out if Wizardish lives up to the task.

Well, for one, the music is epic. The song, titled Castle Ruins, composed by 0xabad1dea fits the dungeon-crawling DnD-style perfectly. It's foreboding, but adventurous. However, the track is short, and loops fairly often, and thus can become somewhat repetitive after a couple minutes.

Speaking of repetitive, this game is a hardcore tribute to it's inspirations, and not just in sound design, which (save the music) is minimalistic at best, but also in graphic design. The walls are represented by simple lines, with scenes differentiated only by the placement of these lines. There are no textures in the environment, save treasures and goblins.

Regardless, this is a Pico-8 game in 3d! Sure, we've had demos and 3d effects here and there, but to have a full game in 3d is... well, amazing, to be honest. And for it's efforts, being one of the first Pico-8 games to utilize the 3rd dimension, I commend it for its efforts. There are 4 classes to choose from in the game (Knight, Cleric, Wizard, and Ranger), and each one has their own pros and cons. For example, the ranger can avoid traps and attacks (serving as the thief most other games of this nature have), but have lower overall stats. On the other end, the Knight has great stats, but low attacking power. There's a balance achieved here, and I appreciate that. Some RPGs can be so one-sided (Quest 64... shivers)

All in all, for a First-Person Grid-Based Dungeon Crawler, it ain't half bad. For the low, low price of free, you get 8 levels, 4 classes, and a full 3d game, all done in one cart. It's a pretty sweet deal, if you ask me.

-Rudlin

P#23708 2016-06-26 19:48 ( Edited 2016-06-26 23:48)

Wizardish - A First-Person Grid-Based Dungeon Crawler! (or Wizardish for those who like to be brief), created by Eduardolicious, is exactly what it says on the tin: a dungeon crawler, in first-person, that is grid-based.

But wait a second, what's this? First Person!?! On the Pico-8??? AWESOME!

Yes, Wizardish, in the vein of early RPGs like Ultima and, well, Wizardry, is a first-person dungeon crawling game where you down potions to regain health and fight monsters straight out of a tabletop RPG. Sounds great, right? Well, let's dive in and find out if Wizardish lives up to the task.

Well, for one, the music is epic. The song, titled Castle Ruins, composed by 0xabad1dea fits the dungeon-crawling DnD-style perfectly. It's foreboding, but adventurous. However, the track is short, and loops fairly often, and thus can become somewhat repetitive after a couple minutes.

Speaking of repetitive, this game is a hardcore tribute to it's inspirations, and not just in sound design, which (save the music) is minimalistic at best, but also in graphic design. The walls are represented by simple lines, with scenes differentiated only by the placement of these lines. There are no textures in the environment, save treasures and goblins.

Regardless, this is a Pico-8 game in 3d! Sure, we've had demos and 3d effects here and there, but to have a full game in 3d is... well, amazing, to be honest. And for it's efforts, being one of the first Pico-8 games to utilize the 3rd dimension, I commend it for its efforts. There are 4 classes to choose from in the game (Knight, Cleric, Wizard, and Ranger), and each one has their own pros and cons. For example, the ranger can avoid traps and attacks (serving as the thief most other games of this nature have), but have lower overall stats. On the other end, the Knight has great stats, but low attacking power. There's a balance achieved here, and I appreciate that. Some RPGs can be so one-sided (Quest 64... shivers)

All in all, for a First-Person Grid-Based Dungeon Crawler, it ain't half bad. For the low, low price of free, you get 8 levels, 4 classes, and a full 3d game, all done in one cart. It's a pretty sweet deal, if you ask me.

-Rudlin

P#23707 2016-06-26 19:48 ( Edited 2016-06-26 23:48)

(Deleted previous thread b/c it didn't contain the cartridge. ¯_(ツ)_/¯)

Hey Everybody, just thought I'd share with all of you my first real project in awhile.

Currently, it's just a prototype, but I plan on improving graphics (right now, blocks), sound (non-existent), and gameplay (basic). The game will be set aboard a spaceship, where you will have to fend off a legion of monsters/aliens/demons (no decision yet :/) with only your bare fists and some sort of gun.

As you can tell, I have yet to plan most of the game out, but hey, what do you expect from a prototype?

Anywho, let's discuss mechanics. The machine (Gray block with "M" on it) must be fully functional in order for you (the green block) to attack enemies (the red blocks). Problem is, the machine has a tendency to break down. A lot. So, when it does break down, you will need 5 parts in order to repair it. How do you obtain these parts you may ask? Well, I'm so glad I asked. Remember the monsters/aliens/demons I mentioned earlier? They have parts. And, since they're not giving any away, you have to take the parts. Right from their cold, dead hands. That's right. Kill the monsters, get more parts, repair the machine. Repeat until dead/bored/eatenbyagrue.

That's about it. Enjoy!

Controls

Up Arrow - Jump
Side Arrows - Move Left/Right
Z Key - Repair the machine
X Key - Attack enemies (currently melee only, srry :(( )

Cart #23329 | 2016-06-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[/#23329#]

P#23328 2016-06-20 19:36 ( Edited 2016-06-20 23:40)

You people are amazing.

I'm sitting here proud of the fact that I got scrolling working in a game, or collision detection working properly, and I see these wonderful "technical advancements" and games that are so awesome that you all can seem to just make effortlessly. I'm jealous, honestly. I wish that someday I will be able to achieve the things you people do. You are awesome.

P#16493 2015-11-10 08:38 ( Edited 2015-11-18 06:51)

UPDATE: Hey look! I updated it (above), and fixed the bug where when the laser made contact with the enemy, it spazzed out for a second. Enjoy!(?)

Here's my first publicly-available game made with the Pico-8! It's a space shooter where you play as a Nroctrion star-cruiser, and have to fend off the evil cihptnueians and save your home-world.

CONTROLS:

Left and Right Arrow Keys to move

Z to fire

NOTE: This is an alpha build of the game. (Very few) new features will be coming.

Also, feedback is highly appreciated! Thanks :)

P#16238 2015-11-04 17:52 ( Edited 2015-11-05 02:30)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-20 07:41:50 | 0.128s | Q:33