Cart #pupper-2 | 2023-11-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

UPDATE

• Added PUPS FOUND display to OPTIONS MENU.
    This keeps track of consecutive PUPPERs rescued and is reset when you LOSE. It is saved after each WIN, so you can close the game on the TITLE SCREEN, before starting another run, and continue your streak later. This will reset if you quit out during a run.
  • Tuned down Levels 7 to 10 slightly.
  • PUPPER now is deactivated if they step on a ZAPPER.
  • Bumping PUPPER when they are active will now give you +1 ENERGY!

• You can now shoot walls to destroy them and open new paths.

INSTRUCTIONS

BEHIND THE SCENES

PUPPER is my second attempt as a PICO-8 game but the first worth releasing.. or at least I hope it is.

PICO-8 is the perfect platform for what I want to do and I can't thank Krystman at Lazy Devs Academy enough for his excellent tutorials. Clearly, this is built off of the Porklike framework with a bit of Breakout Hero for some juice.

Originally intended to be the second enemy for my generic roguelike, the puppy took on new life when I stumbled into their walk cycle. They immediately seized the central focus of the game and sent me down the fun path to PUPPER. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it. I learned a lot and finished a game I'm proud of.

It also gave me an opportunity to work with a talented young composer, named Mitchell Oeth (SoundCloud - YouTube), who came through in the clutch to deliver a killer soundtrack and spare everyone my tortured beeps and boops.

PUPPER is dedicated to all my good doggos (...and one kitty cat) on both sides of the rainbow bridge.

ADOPT A RESCUE PET TODAY

-grimbrim

P#135824 2023-10-21 03:56 ( Edited 2023-11-12 01:54)

This is really neat! I like the twists on the formula from porklike. The energy doubling as health and ability power is really cool and adds some strategy to the game. The dog really changes how levels flow, and they go directly to the goal once you find them (which I think is a good thing but maybe ir would be interesting if you still had to find the goal yourself?).

I haven't quite beaten it yet, but I have seen the last enemy listed so I think I'm close. I didn't really use the teleport ability, perhaps it could be an ability slot which you can find abilities for and have to choose how to upgrade and change throughout? It would add some progression to the game besides the new enemy types showing up.

P#136178 2023-10-21 14:34

Thanks for the feedback! I thought about the pup not moving to the goal until you find it but liked how this gave them more life... Maybe I need to increase the RND of the pup losing power when it moves...? I decided against assigning abilities because i didn't want to spend the tokens on UI for that... But I can see the desire for more progression.. hrm.

P#136398 2023-10-25 22:26 ( Edited 2023-11-03 15:38)

Update 1.01

You can now shoot through walls, which adds another tactical option to some situations.

P#136891 2023-11-04 06:51

Really nice twist on the genre. Super fun! 🌟

P#137420 2023-11-14 13:04

Thanks, aced! Glad you enjoy it. :)

P#137502 2023-11-16 02:04

[Please log in to post a comment]