Would you like to play the piano ... in PICO-8?

Cart #sample_piano-0 | 2023-08-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Well, I can't imagine why, but there you go. Use the tracker keys to play. It's polyphonic.

If you want to change the sample, you can convert a .WAV file to any of the QPA formats - and only the QPA formats - supported by this WIP tool: https://luchak.github.io/defy/ . Then drag and drop the resulting file on the running cart and play away. This will also save the new sample to the cart using cstore() so you can make new carts for new instruments! That URL has been updated with some format improvements, so it won't work here any more until I update these carts.

Usual caveats apply about PCM output not always working well on the web.

For this use case there's basically no reason not to use 3.2 bit QPA, the highest QPA quality, since the file will be truncated at ~32k samples (about 6 seconds) due to table indexing limits and my laziness, and at that length 3.2 bits fits easily in a cart. But for future use cases perhaps the 2.3 bit format will have a purpose, and maybe even the 1.1 bit...

Yes, the WIP conversion tool is a fork of @bikibird's Defy. There's a PR out to merge it into the official version!

And if you're curious, QPA is closely derived from https://qoaformat.org/ and currently stands for Questionable PICO-8 Audio. If you think it might stand for something else let me know, you could be correct.

P#132750 2023-08-05 05:43 ( Edited 2023-08-15 02:43)

Nice job! Now I can practice my PICO piano.

Love the acronym. Reminds of PGP (Pretty Good Privacy).

If you want to get fancy you could encode more samples into PNGs and then folks could drag and drop instruments in at will.

P#132762 2023-08-05 14:14

New cart! DIY breakcore experience in PICO-8. Loop the built-in sample and jump between 32 slices ... or drop in your own sample (follow instructions from top of thread) and use that instead. Keys are up/down to change playback speed, and 1-8/q-i/a-k/z-, to jump between the 32 slices.

Cart #loop_slicer_32-1 | 2023-08-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Update 2023-08-10: Turned off the PCM filter for less muffled sound. Added a waveform display.

P#132915 2023-08-10 02:44 ( Edited 2023-08-10 17:29)

[Please log in to post a comment]