The fastest guns in the west have got the shakes!

High Noon (H I G H N O O N) is sort of a mutant of the classic "who can hit a button the fastest" cowboy duel game.

Instead of just pressing the button you must release the button when the white line is in the green line in a powerbar thingy.

• press and hold either X or O,
  • release when the white line is in the green bar
  • the green bar gets bigger each time you hit the top of the power bar
  • games go until someone gets 6 points.
  • if you draw before the signal you lose one point
  • if you miss the green bar, you miss your shot and you become a sitting duck
  • the computer player needs serious work but 2 player should work fine (let me know if it doesnt)
  • computer player gets more accurate the higher your score
  • cheesy looking tumble weeds included

originally this game was just a basic "who can hit the button fastest" type game but in changing it i have broken that functionality but plan on re-adding it, so the menu will have the option to select "simple mode"~

theres normal hit the button mode again. Some minor improvement to the CPU but this is still mostly designed to be played on a couch with another human while intoxicated

oh and you can customize your cowpokes outfit now and it will be saved to cart data

Cart #highnoon_2-0 | 2023-03-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TODO:
-death animations
-cpu player improvments
-better music/sound
-simple mode
-reset scores on game over
-the tumbleweed flies somethimes?

P#120239 2022-11-07 01:30 ( Edited 2023-03-24 03:46)

Hi @b0b89:

I'm confused as to the scoring.

I understand you release when the white bar touches the green and yes I get a point then, however, the game also says DRAW when it is clear my opponent in 1-player mode fired closer to the green line than I did.

Should not the player that releases closer to the green line be the victor, in this case my opponent ?

P#120242 2022-11-07 02:21

No if you're not touching the green line you missed

If you both missed that's a draw.

Bullets almost hitting you don't count in the old west

P#120243 2022-11-07 02:30

OK, @b0b89. You might have levels of play then. For some it's difficult to get the white line to stop right in the green area. I can do it about 10% of the time myself.

I suggest three levels.

EASY, 4x the green bar size.
Medium, 2x the green bar size.
Hard, 1x the green bar. (no change as you have it now)

The opponent you have can be the same and make deliberate errors based upon the score of the player just as you have now.

P#120261 2022-11-07 16:30 ( Edited 2022-11-08 03:02)

Thank you, thats good advice.

The idea was that the green bar gets bigger once the white line hits the top. So like if you can't make it stop in the green bar, you just hold the button down while the white line goes up and down a few times so it gets easier. I can do it first try about 25%-50% of the time. If I try to get it by releasing on the way back down the second time (when the green bar is 3x its starting size) I can do it quite reliably.

Basically the longer you take to shoot the easier it gets. You aren't really supposed to be able to just draw your gun and shoot unless you're really good.

I think I'll get rid of the CPUs bar altogether. I made 2 player first and just kinda wrote a hacky solution to have it shoot using what was already there for player 2. I'm really not satisfied with it, it shoots really fast and misses a lot right now.

Probably easier and more fun to just have it shoot after rnd(x) time and hit rnd(y) percent of the time or whatever.

P#120263 2022-11-07 17:00

It is an interesting idea to be honest, but the first green bar could use a bigger size. Without that the cpu match is basically, does it hit the green bar or can I just hold down the button until mine becomes green enough so i can surely hit. Without any expansion the green is really hard to hit (for me at least).

One idea that comes to my mind based on this is to give more shooting chances, we got a revolver let us empty that iron into the other if we miss. That would incentivise you to try to hit on the earliest bullet and not just 50-50 it to see if the opponents hit. A little delay between shots (like 0.1 or 2) and you got an interesting dueling game on hand even for the CPU-s as they have more bullets to try hit you with!

The graphics could use a little improvement but i know it's not in everyone's toolkit!

One other little idea that popped into my head is to have a little tense music before you can shoot and stop it on the beep sound so you have a cool build-up for the shooting anticipation!

P#120309 2022-11-08 12:53

When the player shoots the opponent, @b0b89, you might show the time it took the player to shoot based upon the flag that it is okay to - and the time they need to beat so they have some idea of what they are up against.

Obviously higher score means less of a time in the window where the player can shoot the opponent.

P#127544 2023-03-24 15:12

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 09:06:20 | 0.025s | Q:20