Hi,

I'm writing to announce tspico8, a project which allows you to create PICO-8 games using TypeScript. For anyone unfamiliar with TypeScript, it's a superset of JavaScript, and it allows you to annotate your code with static type declarations so that the compiler can find a lot of errors for you.

Some of the benefits include:

• Write PICO-8 games in a powerful language with a lot of builtin safety
  • Take advantage of tooling to improve code quality (linting, formatting, etc)
  • Minify code automatically to reduce token size (multiple configuration options)
  • Utilize an external spritesheet if you want to (make sprites with aseprite, etc)

For anyone that's curious, the technical details of how this works are as follows:

• TypeScript is compiled to JavaScript
  • JavaScript is minified (compressed and mangled)
  • Minified JavaScript is transpiled to PICO-8 compatible Lua
  • Everything is packaged into a cart (code & spritesheet)

PICO-8 reloads automatically on every build to save you time.

Check out the project if you're interested, and let me know what you think. Thanks!

TSPico8 project on Github

P#112949 2022-06-09 17:59

looks like a really awesome project! I got it up & running today on WSL2 Ubuntu. For Prerequisite #5 I had to do this:
PATH=$(npm bin):$PATH

Not sure if thats right but it works great. PATH reverts back after I exit Ubuntu.

I compiled the typescript cart provided and could see the recompilation trigger properly when I make edits. Only thing not working out of the box for me is auto-launching the cart - probably because I’m on WSL2 and it is choosing linux pico8. I just copy & paste around this for now.

I had some fun noticing I hadn’t updated nodejs since v10 haha! I thought updating might help me build this other TS project I was trying to work on — but anyway that one still has issues for me. It has like hundreds of Subsequent Property Declaration Errors TS2717. I’ll save that for another day.

Thanks for posting

P#113338 2022-06-19 04:18 ( Edited 2022-06-20 00:34)

Glad you liked it! I'll take a look at your comment regarding prereq #5. Thanks for the feedback!

P#122707 2022-12-19 16:38

[Please log in to post a comment]