Cart #monster_eye_1_1-0 | 2021-12-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A short RPG story inspired in old-school RPGs like Earthbound, Golden Sun and Pokémon. This is my first pico-8 game, hope you like it!

Find patch log for v1.1 at the end of the description.

Controls:

Arrows: Move player - Move cursor
X: Interact - Select
Z: Open menu - Go back in menu - Close menu

Premise:

You are Rio, born with the monster eye, a special ability that allows you to learn the abilities of your opponents in battle. You must stop the never ending winter by defeating the evil idols that reside in the mountain. To do so, you will need to learn abilities, level up your stats, and re-spec your stats accordingly based on the enemies you encounter.

Battle reference:

There are three main stats:

ATK (Attack): Some abilities scale damage based on your ATK stat
AGI (Agility): The chance to dodge an attack, caps at 6
DEF (Defense): Each defense point will decrease damage by 1 in most cases, but damaging abilities that hit will always do a minimum of 1 damage

The menus will allow you to change abilities. In the menu, you will be able to read an ability's explanation, it will aid you to defeat the idols.

I hope you enjoy my little game, love the pico-8 community, be safe, and thanks for stopping by!

Version 1.1 Patch log:

1. Improved movement and collision to be smooth instead of tile-based jumps
  2. Improved random backgrounds for battles
  3. Balance patches:
    a. [nerf] Leech is now dodge-able
    b. [nerf] Slash damage increased to 3, ATK Scaling reduced to B
  4. Fixes:
    a. Roof tile collision
P#102213 2021-12-09 22:03 ( Edited 2021-12-13 03:30)

Fun! I played this game to the end and really enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed picking out my own strategy for the combat, and gaining the powers of my foes.

P#105503 2022-01-22 03:48

Maybe you should make the battle encounter animation longer + with sounds like in earthbound

P#133281 2023-08-20 01:26

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-20 09:38:25 | 0.063s | Q:16