So I just tried putting Pico 8 onto an old Windows XP laptop of mine. Ran fine, but similar to my Raspberry Pi running the bare metal version of PicoPi, it struggles to connect to the BBS even if there's an internet connection to that laptop.

Now here's the thing, could it be because my $15 purchase is only for a single machine that I installed it onto, and that's why I don't get the full features of Pico8 on my other machines? Is it a User Licence thing?

If not, what would prevent my laptop and Raspberry Pi from connecting to the BBS? They do have an internet connection, the Raspberry Pi uses ethernet, whilst my laptop uses Wifi. They can load lists of the latest, featured and updated games, but when I run the cart it just say "Could not connect to BBS."

Ultimately, what I want to know is, am I getting this error just because I'm using multiple machines and therefore using up my user licence? Or is there some technical issue on my Raspberry Pi and Laptop that I need to look into?

P#96601 2021-08-29 00:53

I have an old XP laptop kicking around, I just put PICO-8 on it and confirmed I couldn't connect to the BBS either.

Notice the BBS uses HTTPS. Try something for me: Open Internet Explorer on your Win XP and try browsing the Lexaloffle BBS site... in my case, IE couldn't load it.

This has happened to more and more XP software over the years - websites and web services are updating to TLS1.2 which XP does not support, limiting IE and other software which uses Windows for encryption. (I think Firefox/etc may work, because it uses its own TLS libraries?)

I don't think PICO-8 uses any sort of machine license system(?)

P#96623 2021-08-29 14:48

The license is not the issue. There isn't any license checking going on. It's very likely what @touk mentioned.

P#96626 2021-08-29 16:53

@touk I did have issues logging into the BBS with my XP laptop using Firefox, but I was able to log in with Chrome, even though Chrome isn't getting anymore updates inside XP.

What I'll do is install raspbian on a separate SD card and put Pico8 onto that and see if I can actually be able to access cartridges online.

P#96627 2021-08-29 17:43

Here's an example discussion about this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33922231/why-cant-windows-xp-handle-newer-ssl-certificate-versions

A solution mentioned there (and other sites) is "installing KB3055973-v3" which is actually intended for "Windows Embedded POSReady 2009" and it sounds like it requires some registry hacks to work on XP... I have not tried this and can't vouch for it.

P#96646 2021-08-29 23:03

The license is included in the download:

> You may install and use THE SOFTWARE on any computers for which you are the primary user. You may additionally install and use THE SOFTWARE concurrently on any number of computers belonging to a single household or educational organisation, including libraries, clubs, schools and universities.

P#96656 2021-08-30 01:18

@touk I'll look into that and install it on my XP laptop.

P#96672 2021-08-30 10:06

@touk I tried out a few things, and it does appear to be about the whole HTTPS thing, Pico8 needs a machine that understands HTTPS. I tried running Pico8 in a current version of Raspbian, and it works fine. As for the bare metal version, I can't seem to find a way to SSH into it, so I can't update it. As for my WinXP laptop, I can seem to get the update to work, and the only reason why I can get any sites to work through Chrome is because it has HTTPS baked into the software without the need of WinXP to know what HTTPS is. It's just a shame that the bare metal version was made before the need of HTTPS and that the developer died of cancer, what a shame. I would love to be able to use the full functionality of Pico-8 in the bare metal, but without the HTTPS support, it's an offline system, even though I can view new Pico-8 games, I just can't play them without already having them downloaded and put on the SD card.

P#96814 2021-09-03 03:25

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 10:35:03 | 0.022s | Q:17