Cart #asdkg-0 | 2021-07-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a small game about a small dragon kid that jumps around collecting gold and video game treasures.

This was my first PICO-8 project (and "finished", published game).

How to play:
You control a small dragon kid. You can jump on slimes, and bounce off slime balloons. You can jump up — or off — walls.

If a slime knocks you out, or if you land on spikes, you will lose 5 gold. Gold is worth 1, and video game treasures/large gold bricks are worth 10. Try to collect as much gold and treasure as you can!

Special thanks:

Though "complete", it isn't very long, and ends abruptly.
My intention was to just mess around with PICO-8, but after watching Krystman (Lazy Devs) talk about the importance of finishing your first game (in this video), I felt compelled to get it in a finished state and put it out, before moving on to start something new.

I hope you enjoy the game, and pardon the bugs, code, art, and lack of background music! x)

P#94811 2021-07-13 23:12

Super cute and engaging! Controls are fluid, and jumping off the walls has a great flow: minimalist but satisfying.

I have to admit, there's one screen that gives me issues and I'm not sure what I'm missing. I've made it through twice by sheer luck. I feel like I'm meant to do a quick wall jump, or maybe glide gracefully over the spikes by some particular fall timing, but invariably I just hit the lower edge of the next wall and slam down into the spikes 99% of the time. Any hints? :)

(the scoring reflects my pain too: I was at 400 timer when I got here, with almost all my gold intact...)

P#94833 2021-07-14 06:25 ( Edited 2021-07-14 06:26)

@mothgram Thank you for your kind words! I'm really glad you're enjoying the game!

lol I can absolutely give a hint! For that part, you just want to, and hopefully wording this out makes sense, but you want to:

jump on the wall that's on the left of those spikes, and sort of slide yourself down slowly and fall left into the opening.

I also have a little .gif hidden below showing how I do it. x)

And sorry about your gold. x)

P#94834 2021-07-14 06:38

Thanks greatly for the hint! Seems like I should have played around with the wall mechanics some more.

I'll play through the game again today and see how I fare—maybe this time I'll hold onto my gold...

P#94874 2021-07-15 00:34

Great game, the movement feels really nice and I like the varied environments ;)

P#94975 2021-07-17 02:04

Thank you, @goctopus! I'm happy you liked the game! =)

P#94977 2021-07-17 02:49

[Please log in to post a comment]