This is a simple game I made with my (now 4-year-old) son. Perhaps influenced by Lexaloffle's BBS icon, its protagonist is a giraffe. It eats falling leaves.

Cart #giraffeeatingleaves-0 | 2020-08-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It has no victory or defeat conditions (my son still doesn't demand them, so I keep not including those).

I wanted my son to start getting used to a mouse, so this game has mouse support! It was fun having to activate it via POKEs. (I was reminded of the Sinclair Spectrum 48k of my youth). The game also works with the default "button-based" control scheme.

• Arrows: Move head
  • X: Eat

The code, as usual, has been heavily cleaned up before posting.

Notes about the graphical design:

• I only programmed the giraffe head and the leaves with my son. The telescopic neck and body at the bottom was added as a surprise, later on.
  • On that note, I am very aware that giraffe's mouths are on their snouts, not on their necks. If you feel the need to comment about this particular anatomical anomaly, let me point out that this particular giraffe has a telescopic neck and its legs don't move while it walks.
  • The pinkish falling ... "things" are supposed to be leaves. I think they look more like beets, but my 4yo Chief of Design was very adamant about the colors and shape.
P#80435 2020-08-06 23:54 ( Edited 2020-08-06 23:56)

It's a cute concept and it is great you are enjoying the experience with your son. You are helping forge the next gen videogame developers ;)

P#80442 2020-08-07 07:09

The position of the hyphen in the title had me imagining a very different game.

P#80605 2020-08-10 18:15

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-20 01:30:45 | 0.010s | Q:16