Cart #nzshorebirds-0 | 2020-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I am an avid birdwatcher and decided to make a game around the shorebirds of NZ. You can walk around and take photos of the birds. Just be careful not to scare them off.

Currently features 6 different species, but the plan is to add more as I go. Would love some feedback <3

Enjoy.

P#79153 2020-07-11 07:00

This is fantastic! The only feedback I'd think about giving is to give the player a better sense of when they are about to scare off the birds. For example, if the player starts getting too close, you could have an exclamation mark appear over the birds for a short time window before they actually fly off, so now the player gets a warning before the birds fly off. The problem with this warning, though, is that it's a bit gamey, and I'm not sure what your intent was but to me the game felt more like a simulation, so the exclamation marks could actually detract from the experience. As a simulation, it is pretty relaxing to play and a lovely experience. Great job! I look forward to seeing what you add to it!

P#79166 2020-07-11 16:13 ( Edited 2020-07-11 16:14)

Thanks @geojax. The way it is implemented is that each bird has it's own scaremeter. Once it goes over 60% the bird stops moving. This is one way you can subtly tell if you are too close or moving too quickly. I might add a "loading" screen with a hint to make this something players look out for.

Really appreciate the feedback!

P#79169 2020-07-11 19:27

yess a bird photography game! I love it ^u^

very chill and simple but original-feeling

the cheap 3D effect is just good enough that it kind of mimics the feeling of taking a photo where you're not sure how it's going to turn out

since you asked for feedback, I'll say that I found the music dissonant/random in a way which doesn't seem to jive with the feel of the rest of the game. so I'd say there's room for improvement there

anyways, great job!

P#79470 2020-07-17 00:30

[Please log in to post a comment]