Less is more!
Here's a low resolution version of my Bumble Bots game. Fewer pixels, but a better game.
When porting the game to Gamebuino I had to reduce the resolution. Doing so forced me to remove some screen clutter as every pixel counts at 80x64. Also, I had to zoom into the levels. On the one hand, this made the game play slightly harder, as you cannot always see all enemies. On the other hand, it made the game play more immersive. In the original game, more than half of screen was black pixels. I actually liked the game better at the lower resolution, so decided to revamp the original PICO-8 version. This is the result.
- Sixteen levels, with a lot of variation!
- Isometric 3D views
- Wave animations
- Pick-ups, boxes, teleports and gaps
- Tracking of level progress, hi-score and level hi-scores
- Level selection menu
- Four musical tracks (by my brother)
- Supports touch controls (see Bumble Bots for touch devices)
Changes in v2.1
- Added support for custom touch controls
- On game completion score remaining lives
- Simplified title screen
- Bug fix: Restored last level (v2.0 included a debugging variant)
Changes in v2.0
- Changed resolution to 64x64
- Smoother bot movement
- More immersive gaming experience:
- Zoomed-in-view with camera following player
- Replaced message boxes with fancier text
- Added more sound effects
- New title screen
- New end screen
Most original sprite design haha! Appropriate and clever/cool music. I think the unconventional puzzle and isometric elements makes it a stand out on the pico format (the scaling also added to the appeal for me), I was immediately rewarded by the cute/strangeness but frustrated adequately to continue being challenged. Will return!
[Please log in to post a comment]