Hi,

I love tinkering around in Pico-8, but I'm certainly not a competent programmer and just hack things together using spaghetti code for my own amusement.

In my day job, I work as an innovation manager for a technology company, and we have an internal innovation programme where we fund good ideas from people within the business, which we think will either provide commmercial benefits to the organisation, or provide reputational benefit.

One idea submitted recently was for an app/game to demonstrate "sustainability" (can't really go into more detail here). To test the concept, I knocked up a very crude prototype in Pico-8, which resulted in funding being released to develop a more throrough proof of concept app, using an external developer on iOS.

This was delivered and we are now at the point of deciding upon next steps in its development. Various options have been suggested, ranging from developing the game/app as a full desktop app, continuing development on iPad for iOS, developing for an Android tablet, or producing a web based version. Its all up for grabs.

However, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if developing it using Pico-8 could be an ever better way to go. It would give us Mac OS, Windows and Linux versions, and also offer a web based version so almost anyone, anywhere, on any hardware could also access it. It would really open up the user base.

I have to say, that some of the games I've seen developed in Pico-8 recently really are excellent, and I'm blown away with what can be produced with it when in the hands of awesome developers! I also recall that when I showed my very early Pico-8 version to members of the teams who came up with the idea for the game/app, who had never heard of Pico-8 before, they were excited by the retro feel, pixilated graphics and frankly, seeing something totally different.

So my question is, does anyone know of any developers who specifically code Pico-8 games and apps on a commercial basis. I'd like to build up a case for the "Pico-8 development route", such that its thrown into the mix when next steps are decided. Links to web sites, example games etc... would help me show how this route could compete with outher more "safe and traditional" options for software development.

Hope this post is within the rules of the Forum.

Many thanks and all thoughts are much appreciated.

Paul :-)

P#146707 2024-04-15 18:26

[Please log in to post a comment]