Cart #uah_hween-0 | 2021-10-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hey, here's that thing you didn't know you needed - a stupid Halloween reskin of my already stupid game, Unsafe at Home! This quality reskin features Halloween colors and sprites, and a very slow, minor/off key rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". Why would I do this? Honestly, your guess is as good as mine as to what my brain decides is important at any given time. But 'tis the season, right? Both Halloween and the World Series are happening this weekend, so why the heck not?

Controls

Up arrow: move forward around the bases
Down arrow: move backward around the bases
X/Z: hit a homer! (once you've got a bat)

See the original game post for the full rules.

That's it. Now get out there and knock a few punkins over the wall, kid!

P#99172 2021-10-26 18:12

This game reminds me of BARRIER. An old 3D vector game back from the arcade.

https://youtu.be/zppYaKPDtM4?t=5

Where you must avoid the diamonds and progress forward to gain points.

P#99182 2021-10-26 20:02

Oh wow, blast from the past. When I was an 8 or 9 year old kid, my grandpa owned a diner and he had a few games in it, and this (or something very much like it) was one of them! We'd always beg the guy who came to collect quarters to throw a few free plays on all the machines for us.

P#99185 2021-10-26 20:40

Indeed, @2bitchuck. I think the best example I ever saw of vectors was later on the PRODIGY system where a slow baud rate still meant fine graphics.

https://youtu.be/CLPoIxU30po?t=17

I was very jealous of the slick vector graphics Prodigy presented. I know today we have PNG and JP2 to replace this, but back then you could use filled vectors and create incredible full-screen scenes with <1k of space.

With the limitations of Pico-8 I keep hoping to see a game much like Penguinsoft did years ago with their amazing Mystery House and the many rooms you can explore using naught but vectors to draw them.

Anyways, off on a tangent. To critique the game you did, it is entirely possible for a "ball" to travel the same path as the player and force them to lose an inning no matter how you move.

If you can prevent against this, ensure any ball does not follow an exact diamond pattern, perhaps varying by .1 or .2 in its X or Y acceleration, that might fix it.

Also when the player is hit, they can be hit again immediately losing 2 innings in 5-game frames. There is no "cooldown" period where the player cannot be hit again. Suggest you add a second or so of the player flashing where they cannot be hit by balls so they can navigate to a safer area and continue their journey around the Baseball diamond.

P#99193 2021-10-26 21:59 ( Edited 2021-10-26 22:03)

@dw817 Thanks for playing! Yeah, the path problem is on my radar to fix. It's usually avoidable in the early going when the speeds are slower but once you get past 10 runs and the pitcher starts throwing harder it does become unavoidable from time to time. Your suggestion seems solid, I'll give that a try & see how it goes.

P#99194 2021-10-26 22:14

Why are the balls the same color as the lines?!

P#99238 2021-10-27 23:29

@kallanreed They're spoooooooooooky lines. Also, in this version, the balls are pumpkins. In the OG version, the balls & lines are both white.

P#99239 2021-10-27 23:38 ( Edited 2021-10-27 23:52)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 14:04:00 | 0.033s | Q:27