So after a day of struggling to work out what to do, mainly due to a friend giving me the Raspberry Pi Zero version of the software rather than the RPi3 version. I finally got it working, it works fine playing carts that I download from the website, but it appears to have issues connecting to the BBS, even though I can get network access and update the New, featured, and other pages, when it comes to playing the game it gives me the "Cannot connect to BBS."

Is it just because the bare metal version of Pico8 can't fully get network access? I heard that the creator of the software died a few years back which is a huge shame, in fact, I had to use the Wayback Machine to trace the RPi3 version of the bare metal PicoPi. If the bare metal version isn't meant to have internet access, I can understand, though it is odd that I can view lists of games that are online, but I can't play them, I just wish there was a means to make it work just the way it does on a typical desktop OS.

P#96461 2021-08-26 02:24

I guess you’re talking about picopi, which isn’t exactly bare metal ;-)

If I recall correctly that software is documented to have no wifi set up. You have to do some changes to get that, or set it up manually (wpa_supplicant.conf config file).

P#96469 2021-08-26 02:59

I'm using ethernet, that's how I'm getting the carts to appear after updating the lists, but the games themselves don't start because it can't connect to the BBS. It might be something odd with my network, so I'll reboot my router and see if that fixes anything.

P#96470 2021-08-26 03:08

Rebooting my network didn't change a thing. I guess I'm going to have to use this purely offline then. It's going to be annoying switching out the SD card when I want to put new games on it. Unless anyone knows of a Raspberry Pi OS that boots up really quick?

P#96472 2021-08-26 03:22

I don't know for a fact but I seem to remember it requiring wget installed.

P#96485 2021-08-26 11:07

Hmm...

Wonder if I can Putty into it?

P#96495 2021-08-26 15:11

Yes, you can use a few methods to change configs on a raspi or install packages: ssh from another machine, connect screen and keyboard, mount SD card in another computer to edit…

P#96687 2021-08-30 15:36

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I've ran into exactly the same problem. PicoPi is running perfectly on my old overclocked Raspberry Pi 1B, the only things missing for now is WiFi and the ability to download carts from the bbs.
I would really like to know how to install wget, I don't know how to install packages on the PicoPi distribution.

P#120041 2022-11-03 12:11

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 20:35:16 | 0.007s | Q:19