The Pacifist is a shooter where you don't shoot, you move. It builds upon Geometry Wars' Pacifism Mode.
How to play
The goal is to pass through gates when there are enemies in the circle around it. Each enemy killed that way raises the multiplier and gives points.
There are three lives, represented by the condition of the ship. The darker the ship, the less lives you have left.
There are two base powers:
- Time Freeze: Use the Z/0 button to freeze time for 1.5 seconds. It uses a portion of the power bar.
- Shield: Use the X button to use a shield, repelling enemies that are close to you.
Powerups pop up now and then to help you.
- When dying after the third life, enemies spawn immediately but they shouldn't.
- Fixed a bug that made it possible to have virtually infinite shield
- Changed the way power-ups are picked. You have a choice of two power ups and have 10 seconds to decide which one to pick. At the beginning, you don't get two power-ups like you used to, but the time between power-up spawns has been reduced.
- Replaced the Dimensional Shift with a time freeze power on the Z button.
- Added a power-up to level up the time freeze (making it use less energy)
- New enemy type spawns later
- Changed the color palette so enemies would be even more clear
- Added a new type of enemy
- Adjusted the difficulty
- small bugfix relating to Performance Mode
- Fixed some powerups that were not spawning.
- Fixed the shield radius.
- Added a power-up to level up the shield, decreasing its energy usage and increasing its range slightly.
- Added a shield on the x button that shares its power bar with the Dimensional Shift. I think it's fun to use, but renders the Shift almost moot. I'll have to rebalance those two powers in a future version.
- Made the enemies go in slighty off directions the farther they are from the player. It's subtle but it prevents enemies from all doing the exact same thing.
- Added audio and visual feedback when gates are spawning.
- Pink dot's countdown now affects the background grid.
- Added a true difficulty curve (instead of hadcoded spawns) For now it's not a curve, it's linear, but I'll try to adjust it to make it fair to new players and fun for veterans.
- Fixed the diagonal player angles which made it possible for enemies to spawn in the trajectory of the player.
- Small ajustments to powerups.
- Fixed a memory leak caused by some particles not removing themselves.
- The physics-based grid now updates at 30fps instead of 60. It makes it run almost flawlessly on RG351 devices.
- Added a menu option to disable the physics-based background grid for slower devices.
- Re-arranged enemy physics to make them more bouncy. As a result, it can be a bit easier, but I think it's for the better.
- Added a physics-based background grid to make things more dynamic. The physics engine was made by aatish (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=84525)
- Fixed the GateUp powerup. Now, you are limited to 3 stacks of this powerup.
- Made the pink and orange enemies more aggressive
- The Slow Pink powerup was removed
- Added visual and audio feedback when catching a powerup
- Expanded the play field to 192x192 instead of 128x128. It drastically changes the balance of the game so I'm still not sure if that's what I want.
- To counter-balance the first point, I changed the spawn rate of enemies. The pink one is less lethal so I'll try to balance it in the future.
- Added 5 types of powerups that spawn randomly every 45 seconds
- Extended the song
- Cleaned up the UI
- Removed the fake background scroll because it became very weird with the real scrolling field.
- Fixed the score limit. Now the theoretical limit is 999,999,999 points, although the display will probably be broken at that point.
- Fixed a very minor sound problem when killing enemies
- Small refactoring
- Nothing added, simply a refactoring because the code was getting messy and hard to work with.
- Initial version here. To learn to play, look for the "How to play" section below.
- Balance out the powers
- Add more power-ups
- Add debuffs (maybe)
- Adjust difficulty
- Adjust, adjust and adjust to optimize the fun and make it rewarding
What I meant by "you don't get two powerups at the start" is that it used to be that you could catch the two powerups that spawned at the beginning. Afterwards, only one powerup would spawn at a time.
As for minmaxing the freeze, I should probably put a limit to its spawnability, like the powerup that increases the spawn rate of the gates.
Thank you so much for playing and giving some feedback! Did you enjoy the game? What's your highscore?
[Please log in to post a comment]