You can also play it on itch.io here!
Z/X: Rotate Camera
This is a short but sweet game about trekking through the woods to make a special delivery.
This was made over parts of October and December 2020 for the PICO-8 Advent Calendar 2020. It was a great excuse for me to finally dig into some of the newer PICO-8 features added since my last big project, particularly tline and oval drawing.
And if you'd like to follow my work, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_
UPDATE 1/5/2021: By popular request I've added a checkpoint to the lake!
I did increase the difficulty of the end portion a little to compensate, but it should still be less punishing overall.
@Mikesta Great to hear! :D
@eboatwright Well that wouldn't have been in the holiday spirit now would it? :P
@beepyeah Definitely! Honestly I'm kinda surprised this was the first I've seen, especially since tline has been out for a while at this point. I don't have plans yet but I wouldn't be opposed to experimenting more with it someday
Oops, been a while since I responded to folks here!
@Pincel Why thank you!
@ChronoChill haha yeah, def one of the more technically complicated things I've done in PICO-8
@SandwichBlam Glad you liked it! :D
@luckshadow256 Thanks for playing!
@PixelMofo Thanks so much! Glad it worked so well!
@fluffygrass Great to hear! Thank you!
@allenxch Nope, actually! Winterwood doesn't use any sprite stacking (which is where you construct 3D-looking objects by layering many sprites with a vertical offset). It instead uses a few different techniques, mostly based off of drawing sprites using tline as if they were quads. To get into more specifics:
- The house and most of its decor are entirely "true" 3D drawing
- The signs are a technique I call "thick planes" where I draw the sprite in vertical strips that are always 1px thick regardless of viewing angle (true 3D planes have no thickness)
- The trees are a hybrid of the "thick plane" approach (as 4 radial "slices") and just a simple green oval drawn under them at their base
- The player and NPCs are just simple normal PICO-8 sprites
- The ground is just the tilemap drawn rotated using tline
[Please log in to post a comment]