Cart #fishing_grounds-1 | 2021-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I just completed my first Pico-8 Game.
Event was a local (online) GameJam-Project (8 hours to create a game from scratch, theme was "Sailing"). Thing is, I've never touched Pico-8 before, nor had I any Lua Experience whatsoever, but I wanted a challenge and (kinda) succeeded; fiddling with the Pico-8 Engine was tons of fun, and I certainly will continue my Pico-8-Endeavours in the future.
The following day I tweaked my code and added fancy stuff, like, a Scoring Objective.

Use [Arrow Keys] to navigate the Ship.
Press [X] and any direction to throw out your fishing rod.
Catch as many Fish as you can without crashing your Ship.

The Moving Fish scores 1 Point, the Stationary Fish 3 Points, but it will disappear after a few seconds, so you gotta be fast. A new Stationary Fish only spawns after you've caught the Moving Fish.

Good Luck!

P#87635 2021-02-14 20:33 ( Edited 2021-02-15 19:48)

Nice game, I love the wave sounds, though it enters a state where you can't reset it without refreshing the page after your have crashed your ship.

P#87687 2021-02-15 19:56

Yeah, I know, this is not optimal (just a lazy Stop()-Command). This was my first Pico-8 Game, and also my first time programming with Lua, but I learned so much, that I'm quite confident, that my next game will be more polished.
Thanks for playing, though. :-)

P#87688 2021-02-15 20:06

[Please log in to post a comment]