As of 2023, I'm currently working on a remake of this game, called Ninja Cat Remewstered, which I intend to release on itch.io and the Google Play Store, and hopefully even Steam. (Imagine if I could get it on a console! Wouldn't that be a dream...)
You can find my development progress videos on YouTube by clicking here. I will likely post a trailer or release announcement video there as well as a comment on this thread when the time comes, so stay tuned!
Looking back at these older posts, I was much less... expressive? Anyway, very glad to see how I've improved in the... wait, 3 years?! oof... the 3 years it's been since I first released Ninja Cat. Thank you all!
A platformer about a ninja cat with a grappling hook, where you die in one hit.
You have nine lives. Make them count.
Also available on itch.io.
How to play
- Jump with O/Z.
- Attack with X.
- Press the jump button in the air near a grapple point to grapple to it. (Press up while grappled to reel in faster)
- Hit targets with a star to open a nearby door.
- Hit enemies while they're not looking to deal bonus damage.
- Once you get the sword, you can switch weapons by pressing DOWN or UP twice. (Current weapon is shown under the health bar)
- Use the sword to dash past searchlights without being caught.
At the end of most levels, destroy the gem cage and steal the gem to finish. But don't touch the case, as it's covered in electricity and will electrocute you.
1.0 - Big update, items are in the order they were added.
There are a LOT of changes in this update.
- Removed a section of a level that you couldn't escape from.
- Added space for more levels. (string storage, no compression)
- Gem case now takes 2 hits to break. (was 3)
- (removed later) Added toggle for music in pause menu.
- (world 2) Final boss from previous version is now the mid-game boss.
- Changed boss AI.
- (world 2) Added new sprites for second boss encounter.
- Changed the target doors to be red.
- Added green targets which open green doors anywhere in the level.
- Stars now fall if the tile they are on is removed.
- Now red ninjas will only jump if they reach an edge or a wall.
- Small changes to sprites.
- Moved weapon display to under the lives bar.
- Fixed a problem where the cat could get stuck inside offscreen map data.
- Debug mode makes the camera move vertically to see offscreen tiles.
- There is now an 8 frame window where you can still jump after walking off a ledge.
- (world 2) Started working on the 2nd world levels.
- Made stars able to be thrown upwards through semi-solid platforms.
- Moved the title screen up a little bit.
- (world 2) Added 1 new level.
- (world 2) Added a third weapon: the Glove. It punches upwards, allowing the cat to double jump.
- Removed some unused sfx and music so more that might be used can be added instead.
- Optimised star and dust object systems (93%)
- Made stars brighter to see them more easily.
- Fixed an issue where camera pan tiles could allow the camera to see out of bounds near the end of the level.
- Fixed an issue where the sword would deal the knockback of the last star created. It has its own knockback now.
- Adjusted the background to be less bright.
- Time now slows down while switching weapons. (94%)
- (world 2) Added 2 more levels.
- Added extra effects to the boss's appear animation. (96%)
- Fixed a few problems resulting from decimal timer values after time was slowed down.
- Added an instructions screen. It shows up on the title screen menu.
- Press up to view the version on the press to start screen. (99.83%)
- Combined the boss's two sprite sets into one, using palette swapping to achieve the same look. (96%)
- Adjusted the order of levels after getting the sword to let the player actually try it out without falling to their death shortly afterwards.
- Added a timer, displayed on the win screen when you finish the game.
- Added a fastest run save system. Enter your name to be permanently displayed as the best Ninja Cat player who ever lived! ... at least until someone beats your time.
- (world 2) Added 2 more levels.
- Armoured Ninjas no longer move unless you attack them.
- Made gem mimics (probably) easier to see when unstable. (far away)
- Fixed bomb droppers not dropping bombs after the switching weapons time slowdown. (decimal timers again)
- Oh no... 100.00% compressed size.. gonna need some more optimisations.
- (world 2) Second world is about halfway complete (101%), might need to use a minifier when it's done.
- (world 2) Added 2 more levels.
- Stars no longer stick to semi-solid platforms at all.
- There is space for probably 4 more levels and the final boss arena in the second map.
- (world 2) Added another level, the boss arena, and the last area with the (spoiler for the ending) Golden Cat trophy.
- (world 2) Added placeholders for the last 2 levels. (103%)
- (world 2) Added the second last level before the boss. There will be 22 levels in total, or 19 if you don't count the 2 boss rooms and the trophy room.
- (world 2) (removed later) Final boss cycles attacks faster. (104%)
- (world 2) All the levels are finished! or at least, they've been created.
- (world 2) Final boss no longer cycles attacks faster.
- Compressed by removing comments, debug features, and empty lines. (94%)
- Bug 1: best time screen appears after game over screen for some reason
- Bug 2: you can walk through armour ninjas when they are not moving
- Fixed 1, both the OVER and WIN states use the same update loop. Made it only switch to HISCORE if the mode is WIN.
- Fixed 2, armour ninjas had OB_DMG set to false when idle for some reason.
- Bug: green targets are broken. (in the new levels only version, at least)
- Haha, it was because i didn't include the main cart in the export.
- The bug where the boss gets stuck exploding is still there, might have to force him to stop existing after a few seconds.
- Changed glove weapon to a double jump scroll.
- Deleted level 16 because it was terrible.
- Probably fixed the boss's endless exploding. (haven't tested yet)
- Added double jump. Also stopped it from triggering near a grapple so you can jump, swing, then jump again in midair. Really cool.
- Allowed ending the level while using the sword since it breaks the case in one hit now.
- Added easy mode and set enemies that are removed in the first world when chosen.
- Adjusted the range that enemy tiles are turned into real enemies.
- Replaced level 16 with a new level
- Spikes now make you slow down a lot while walking through them. (in case it's not obvious, running through sharp objects at high speed is not a good idea)
- Broke the boss, it does the appear animation when defeated.
- Double jump animation continues while grappling.
- Fixed the above 2 bugs.
- The boss explosion fix seems to work.
- Reduced second boss's health.
- Added double tap up/down to change weapons.
- Slowed down the boss's attacks to make them easier.
- Moved thread to cartridges.
- Score now resets properly when you die.
- Added another level, with a new enemy. (9 levels total)
- Added the final boss and arena.
- Changed how the searchlights move.
- Moved the moon down slightly to fit on the screen properly.
- Fixed the cutout on the moon not flashing with the rest of the sky on the title screen.
- Added new end and game over screens.
- Added a few challenge options and a menu on the title screen to choose between them.
- Added a menuitem to enable debug mode, which displays a minimap and gives you the sword.
- Added the background to the title screen.
- Added another level. (8 total)
- Made placeholders for 2 more levels.
- Changed some levels and graphics slightly.
- Changed the title screen music to a remix of the main game music.
- Added new title screen with graphics.
- Enemy facing directions should be consistent on each run.
- New label image of the title screen.
- Added a score display for gold.
- Added 2 more levels. (now up to 7)
- Now you get the sword in level 4 instead of starting with it.
- Added an invisible tile which pans the camera over to the right when stepped in front of.
- Made some of the levels slightly easier.
- Reduced air friction. (was stopping too quickly after releasing rope)
- Moved background into a smaller area of the map.
- Added level 4 and 5.
- Added targets and doors. Hitting a target with a star opens the door.
- Added new weapon: Sword. (Switch by pressing DOWN, then X while on the ground)
- Fixed the hitbox of the case at the end of the levels.
- Updated the design of the platform holding the gem.
- Made the placeholder title screen look better.
- Added simple level transitions.
- Added level 3.
- Changed directions to change on button press rather than velocity.
- New label image with the right colours.
- First version.
The filters in the debug menu were done using poke.
menuitem(2,"reverb filter",function()poke(0x5f41,15)end) menuitem(3,"lowpass filter",function()poke(0x5f43,15)end)
The 15 means apply it to all channels.
Also, first jump:
Trying to work out if pacifist's possible on normal—I'm still not sure. Edit: It is possible! But I don't have a valid run yet.
Great game with elements of stealth reminding me a bit of Metal Gear Solid, @cubee.
A little tricky to get the bungee cord working but adds to the challenge. Superb work. Have a gold star along with all the gold bullion your ninja cat has been collecting. :)
[Please log in to post a comment]