Cart #podihutap-1 | 2020-04-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a port of an old ZX Spectrum game called Sheer Panic (or Panic) which was a version of the old arcade game Space Panic.
This is just an initial attempt at it. I think I have got everything in there though.

The idea is to kill the monsters by digging pits in the floor and then knocking a monster down when it falls into the pit. More advanced monsters need to fall a larger distance to be killed.

Arrow keys to move around
X to dig
Z to fill

(Updated to remove death message and go back to menu)

P#74602 2020-04-09 19:14 ( Edited 2020-04-09 19:32)

This is really hard and mostly because the enemy movement seems completely random. I never had the fortune to play the original, but I like that it's, in concept, sort of a side view version of Heinkyo Alien and it's especially funny to take the shovel to beat the enemies into the hole while they try and hang on to the ledge. My criticism is only with the enemy behavior, everything seems very speccy to me. :) I would offer advice on how to go about making the enemy less random, but I'm a crap programmer so anything I'd offer would probably make things worse! :)

P#74730 2020-04-14 11:23

I think in the original the alien's movement was also random but with a 256x192 screen resolution the player had more space to move around in. Even with all of that extra space the randomness (or at least I assume it was random) still caused me lots of problems that were only solvable through a) strict strategies and b) luck from time to time.
Thanks for your comment though. I did have some thoughts about how to make the alien movement 'fairer' and will probably have a go at attempting that when I get some spare time.

P#74731 2020-04-14 11:28

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 17:48:25 | 0.011s | Q:19